Tuesday, September 02, 2008

I'm a University Man

Yes faithful readers and stalkers, I am in University. I'm in a dorm. I have to share a bathroom with a bunch of other guys. Ralph is crushing beer cans with his forehead. I'm a group of assorted low-lifes and yet to be discovered talents to feeling like I'm a member of the Beat Generation during it's gestation at Columbia.
So, I have a new laptop, which I am currently writing this on. Yes, I have a computer with Internet access. I'd like to thank my technologically competent relatives for it, you know who you are. I also have my Itunes on it, which doesn't matter much for loading and recharging my Ipod as I have an Ipod Dock, which I can listen to my music on much like a radio. I also have a minifridge, which is more or less a glorified blueberry-pomegranate juice holder. I also have a shelf full of books and movies for personal use, including the various textbooks I have. I also picked up a rug while trading various items with the neighbours, which really ties the room together.
So, how's University going? Well, at the moment it's not going well. I'm at a period of time referred to as "Frosh Week" which was obviously designed by neurotypicals for neurotypicals. I've been avoiding this for the most part, unless it involves free stuff (like my rug) and food. But today there is a lot of stuff I'm not really interested in. For instance, a lot of people are getting ready for a Square Dance, which I don't really see the point in going to. Also, I have not gone at all for the Frosh Week activities of the Arts Faculty which I am in, mainly because it involved wearing an annoying arm band which I was not prepared to wear all night and cut off. That basically means I am not allowed to go to the Arts Faculty event, which may have been alright because it seems that the Arts Faculty seems to have gotten all Lord of the Flies from what I've seen while passing the library. By avoiding this entire event I have either offended the priesthood of the boar or they won't notice.
I've been mostly concentrating on my room and getting used to it. Unlike the Open Doors program, I have been allowed to customize my room with all kinds of stuff. I have my own sheets, a bookshelf and will be acquiring posters next week when they're on sale. I'm hoping that I can find a Big Lebowski movie, since it's basically the kind of college movie that I like. (I call the Big Lebowski a college movie because of the Dude's preference for jays, but it's also more intelligent humour then most people in University). If I can I'll get some pictures of my room when it's all done, I'll send you over but this is dependent on me figuring out how that camera my parents gave me for Christmas works and if I can get the pictures on this computer.
Well, that's my first message from The Bunker, as my room will be referred to from now on. Keep reading for updates.

6 comments:

Willy's Mom said...

Hey university man...you're welcome. We are glad you like it and things are working for you.
Getting pictures onto your computer from the camera is not that difficult. We can show you how on the weekend.
Grandma thought it was quite amusing that "Ralph is crushing beer cans with his forehead."
From what I remember of frosh week, it really was designed by neurotypicals (and not the cream-of-the-crop neurotypicals either).

Dylan said...

I know, they'res a square dance going on as I type.

Anonymous said...

Hey Writer
As one who has crushed a can on his forehead i urge you to at least imagine the greatest the neurotypcials may some day achieve.... not that they aren't neurotypical and not that i suggest you partake in any event that doesn't float you boat... (i an 100% on board with avoiding SDing. Just take it 1 day at a time and enjoy.
Uncle T

Dylan said...

That's exactly what I'm doing UncleT, don't worry.

Anonymous said...

Hey university man,
I have been reading your blog waiting for your first day.Sounds like Ralph has matured.Take one day at a time and you will enjoy it.
Mrs Lingard

Dylan said...

Thanks Mrs Lingard. Ralph is a shining pillar of maturity chanting Toga.