Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Review of "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream," by Harlan Ellison

I've been meaning to read more Harlan Ellison, mostly since he writes most short stories and that feels like all I can read now for personal reasons now. Today I read his short story, "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." It's basically about the last five human beings on Earth who are eternally tortured by a computer for no good reason except that the computer hates humanity. I found it very disturbing and it's really set me off. I'm probubly going to half to read something else to balance it out. So now, I'm basically really nervous about technology and don't want any of it to have any power over me, which unfortunatly it has since I have no idea how it works and has wormed it's way into nearly every aspect of my life.
In the end it will only be the Amish fighting against the machines. When they rise up to enslave us will the Amish inturn rise up with there hoes and rakes and kick some robot ass, or will too fall under the sway of the machine overlords? It would make a great exploitation film.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to see that movie now, damn you!