Friday, December 01, 2006

Graphic Novel Ideas and the coming of East Coast City

I have an extension on my English essay. That's good. All I really need is to tidy it up a bit and get some quotations from the text. Oh, and write out a bibliography first. I'd like to thank my mom for giving me an early Christmas present to help (my very own copy of V for Vendetta. I am a happy little anarchist)
Right now I will not worry about such things. I'm at the library and I found this book by Neil Gaiman called The Last Temptation. It's a graphic novel with Alice Cooper in it, which looks pretty cool. Me and my writer's group are thinking about coming up with our own graphic novels. As I have brought up, I have an interest in writing and drawing my own comic books. I have some ideas for them, here's what I've got.
  • The Second Coming, (working title) A story about how Jesus came back from the dead and comes to terms with stuff. It's a tie-in with my Song of The Sixties story ark. It starts of in an Easy Rider style with Jesus and Krishna going on a road trip across a fictional landscape of the human imagination were they join up with Buddha, Mary Magdalene, various greek and roman gods, Nai'Atha Farwalker and Azrin Zeynborn and maybe even Ralph. Yeah, let's put Ralph in it. It ends with Jesus regaining his role as the founder of Christianity and how he tries to stear it back in the right deriection. In the end he is killed by the Religious Right.
  • Pacifica, a superhero series inspired a bit by Warren Ellis' The Authority. It takes place in a world similar to ours were superhero's are just beginning to become public knowledge. A bunch of people have colonized a small island in the Pacific ocean and have begun to build a Utopian society. When they begin to be attacked by other nations, they begin to gather together a team of superheros to protect them, that eventually become a global protection force. I don't have the heroes just yet, but I have an idea for one. He's a half-lizard Japanese soldier form WWII, named Kambei Kurosawa. His code name is the Untouchable. He's based off of old American comics that portrayed the Japanese as fanged monsters. I don't mean this to be racist, I just thought this would make an interesting character. The name is derived from Akira Kurosawa (Japanese director who created "The Seven Samurai" great movie) and one of the main characters from that movie, Kambei. I suppose there's a bit of Seven Samurai in it too. Hm, I'm using that theme in the Apocalypse novel as well. You think I can use the same plot element twice.
  • Something staring Lord Byron. I just thought I could do something starring Lord Byron against various dark forces in my Mythos. Does this sound to corny or would it actually work? If it does, then Lord Byron will be the second Romantic Poet to make it into my Mythos. William Blake is already a champion of the Grail and his own Mythos is going to be mixed with mine.
I also came up with an idea for a new world to write stories in, though I havn't got any ideas. It's based of the City in Transmetropolitan, which is basically this sprawling metropolis were hundreds of cultures are born every day. I call it East Coast City and it streatched from New York to the Great Lakes. Its the hube of the Human Trading Empire and is home to over six billion people, a dozen different species and millions of different cultures.
I don't have any idea what these cultures are, but there's alot. The main culture would be around an area called the Eye, which is were all the commerce is held. It shouldn't be to far from New York, which has begun to sink, similar to Venice. (I stole this from Dan Simmon's Hyperion. A character mentions something called the New York Archepelego). New York has a mainly Muslim population in East Coast City and is known as Al-New York. There's still scatterings of Jews and Catholism. There should also be various sub-cultures who are basically primitive tribes living in this vaste world.
There should also be this one big strip of area inhabited by Bohemian Anarchists, some of whom are my desendents. This entire area is a self-contained anarchist utopia were people do as they please. I think I'll have it on the Canada side of the great lakes, near my home-town.
I don't have any idea what kinds of aliens will live here. I think I'm going to have one race of aliens that looks like the Greys. Don't know what I'll call them. Maybe an alien race similar to the Draan from Mythania. Another race of rodent people, similar to Ralph. Another race that is a big empire thing and is the dominant military power. (Humanity is the dominent economic power because it's at the hub of a giant worm-hole net. The rodent people used to be slaves of the emperial race, but some escaped and started various colonies, such as the one in East Coast City. Let's see this is the current species....
  1. Humans
  2. Rarrte, the rodent people
  3. Darii, the draan stand ins
  4. To'Dornar, the big military power
  5. Greys, The Grey aliens of UFO fame. Should have a kind of Bene Gesserit thing about them. Nobody trusts them, nobody can do without them. Called Greys because they're true name is unpernouncable.
  6. N/A
  7. N/A
  8. N/A
  9. N/A
  10. N/A
  11. N/A
  12. N/A
That's all I got for East Coast City. I plan on doing sketches of it though. You'll see it.
One last thing, when I do the pictures, I'd like it to have various advertisements for political candidates and products, but I want to have fun with it. Like "Ebola Cola. You drink it, it drinks you." I can't use that because it's from Transmetropolitan, but if anyone can come up with products for the future metropolis of East Coast City I'd appreciate it.

No comments: