Monday, December 11, 2006

Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful. (Ian Faith, manager of Spinal Tap)

So last night I came up with the idea of writing a rock and roll novel. A rock and roll novel is an idea I get from the combined power of liseaning to the tale end of Little Steven's Underground Garage (see link) and being up past ten. The basic premise is a novel that reads like a rock and roll album. I have no idea how to do this, and I swear to God I wasn't high when I came up with this idea. If anyone has any ideas of what a novel that reads like a rock and roll album would be like, please give me some feedback so I can write it.
In other news, I have a whack of English homework I need to get done by tomorrow no less. First I need to write a three page essay on a poem, I choose something by Christopher Marlowe. Something to do with a love-sick shepard. Great stuff, I just don't know how to work it into a three page essay, even with the questions they gave me. Also, I need to write a poem. This is all due tomorrow. So, I have the afternoon and the spare tommorrow. I can get the essay thing done today, and the poem to maybe. If not, the poem can do the poem in spare if I can't do it tomorrow.

3 comments:

D said...

A novel like a rock and roll album...that'd probably be something like a longer version of one of the Who's concept albums. I'm guessing there'd be about 10-13 chapters in that book, and they'd all be fairly short - maybe take about 3 minutes each to read. Each chapter would probably be a love song or short story, and some loose theme could connect them together in some sort of plot line. Maybe some sort of poetic structure would be needed to get the rhythmic/rhyming/lyrical nature of a song down.

Speaking of concept albums and such, you need to hear Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by the Flaming Lips if you haven't already. It's sort of like a sci-fi story thrown onto an album...it's a bit cryptic though, and we never do find out what happens to the giant pink killer robots.

(Oh, and I switched to the new blogger recently - so I'm not sure how my name shows up on comments now. This is Dan from MusingsOfDan, although I've given up on that blog now.)

Dylan said...

Dan? Dude, I was worried you'd commited suicide or something. Good to see you.

ZZZZZZZ said...

Hmm. I'm not sure how you would go about writing such a novel but the idea seems very interesting.