Friday, June 17, 2005

in 2055...

Over forty years since I published my first short story in my future-history and I was wrong about my idea of the 21st century. I’ve got a bit of a new age following that could be described as Naousim and the American government has come clean about the whole Roswell thing, but it wasn’t what I said it was in 1947 and the World is Ending. Just as well, North America is still as screwed up as I thought it would be. I’ve decided to take this time to travel the world with my wife. We had just finished our third circumvention of the globe by checking up on how China is doing since the Communist block has fallen over there. I’m currently sitting across from my wife in a café in Istanbul.
I take a drink of water. For all my life, death has bothered me. I don’t think it will anymore. My life has been eventful enough. The translation of Mythania from book to Movie was good enough, but Hollywood never stays too faithful to the source. Well, there was Sin City, but that was a fluke. I’ve got a shelf full of awards back at my estate, which is good. There is a whole sub-culture of Dylan C.G. Thomas fans. Last convention I was at I had a meaningful conversation with someone using complete Tawazee pop-culture references. And I have been married for thirty years know, that’s pretty good. I don’t know how she can take it though. I’d ask her, but she is to busy deciding what to do, I’m fine if we can just go see Hagia Sophia.
I look over to see some other tourists who are pointing are looking at me. I tell my wife that we have possible fans coming. I was right. One of them walks up to me.
"Excuse me?" he says
"Yes,"
"You’re not (place my name here), the science fiction writer?,"
"If your with any religious group I apologize,"
"Oh, no. I’m a big fan. Your Mythania series inspired me, ".
"You’re a writer?"
"Oh yes. I’m with my class on a trip. Can you sign my book,"
"You mean a book? Not one of those e-books kids carry around these days,".
"Yeah, here," he passes me what appears to be a first edition of Mythania. Wow, this book is in better condition then mine.
"This isn’t the first edition is it?" I ask.
"Yeah," he said "My mom had it. I guess it’s still hers, but I’ve read it more then her I guess." I take out a pen.
"Who should I sign it too?" I ask. He tells me the name of his mom and himself and he gives me his book.
"Oh, wait," he says. He takes out a minidisk and hands it to me. "This is a short story I wrote. I was wondering if you could look over it,"
"Okay," I reply. "How can I contact you?"
"My e-mail is on the disk," he says and walks off. I go back to discussing things with my wife.

No comments: