Friday, June 17, 2005

in 2035...

I look nervously around the room. My wife puts her hand on my arm and tells me to stay calm. I just heard the title of my latest novel on the list of best science fiction novel of the year. I wait in anticipation, I hum Pink Floyd’s "Shine on you Crazy Diamond," to myself. It didn’t help much.
"And the winner is," says the announcer. "The Magdalene System,". That was my novel. I’m stunned, granted this isn’t the first time I had gotten a major award. Mythania won best novel in 2016, and I got a few Shusters for stuff like Golden Age, Immortals and 11.12.13. I’ve also won a Nebula for The Civilization Masters.
I get the award from the smiling, what do they call the people who give the awards at these things?. I look out over the crowd. My wife looks at me and smiles. "Wow," I said. "I didn’t think the Magdalene system was that good. I mean, I knew it was big. Everyone told me so, but I didn’t think it was Hugo big. Anyway, I’d like to thank my wife and kids for their support, the fans off course and all those religious extremists who haven’t killed me yet. Thank you, ". I wasn’t joking on that. My last novella had some Church in some southern US state in an uproar and I had the world in an uproar when the first Immortals out, what with showing the founders of the world’s religion in a completely different light. Somebody had called me the most controversial science fiction writer since L. Ron Hubbard. I shouldn’t worry about that know though. I’ll just go back to my table and wait until the buffet is open.

8 comments:

Steph said...

These are good! I like this idea, and love the way you write it! Writing out your desired future could easily be very boring to read, but you make it funny, and I love that! :)

Dylan said...

oh, I didn't know that it was funny.

Steph said...

Just little subtle things make me laugh some, like "I'll just go back to my table and wait until the buffet is open." That made me smile.

Dylan said...

That is something I just do

Steph said...

Well, do you intend stuff like that to be funny?

Dylan said...

no

Steph said...

Oh, well, sorry, but it makes me smile.

Dylan said...

Don't worry. I just didn't now that I was that funny. Thank you