Monday, November 17, 2008

How To Write a Dystopia

I tried to read Brave New World again today, which is something that would be a good idea to read again for English Literature. I got through the first paragraph and everything that I hated about the novel came rushing back. This is not to do with any thing on Huxley's part, since what I hated about the novel was the incredibly vapid society he created. This is leading to the problems I see with reading Huxley, which I will have in the following statement.
Dystopian novels, such as Brave New World and 1984 are by there vary nature upsetting. This makes them hard to read, but they are none the less necessary to read because of the upsetting nature of the subject matter.
This concerns me because The Last Dance Revolution is, at least partially, a dystopia novel. I don't know if the society I created is necessarily repulsive enough. If Last Dance Revolution is to work as a dystopia, then I'm going to have to create a society with no redeeming features. In short, I'm going to create my own nightmare of a society. What would that entail?
  • No Freedom, This is probably a cliche, but the society I create will have to be devoid of free speech.
  • Nationalism, I've never trusted nationalists or nations. Any society I consider a nightmare would put the nation as one of there chief virtues. This would lead to racism and xenophobia.
  • Violence, Violence is a major theme in Last Dance Revolution at any point, but I mean a society where the threat of violent death hangs over everyone's head. In the world of Last Dance Revolution, America is the hub of terrorism and most people are armed. I don't think anyone should be armed personally, but I suppose I'll talk alot about violence in my works. I sense it could be a major theme.

That's basically all I can think off. So I should probubly work on more oppressive state sensorship. Or I could just toy with the idea that Naos and Helen are true anarchists and would find just about any government oppressive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny. I'm getting ready to write my own dystopia and it's basically a mirror image of what you're working on. Don't you think there should be a bigger fear that our society slips into complete technological authoritarianism where only the elite have power? Why would everyone be armed in your dystopia if they have no other freedoms? An armed person is only armed for the sake of protecting their freedoms, and if they have none, they'll surely not have weapons.
Also, if you think nationalism is bad, wait until you see globalism! The larger the central government the more corrupt it will be. There will be zero checks and balances. We will all be slaves of the global government. Sure, war won't exist, but we'll be raped and pillaged by the globalist enforcers at every turn, living in constant fear.