Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Democracy Night in America

I had to do a project on the Gospel of Mark, I'm not sure if I told you about that but I had to write about it. I can barely remember what it was about anymore, Bible has gotten a bit dull in my opinion. I've lost most of my interest in it, but I suppose it would be tiring to be ecstatic about all my courses. There still all good courses so it's not all bad.
Well, my Beat Generation fantasies of meeting like minded writers are beginning to blossom. I've been in contact with a writer friend of mine from 20th English literature, 20th century 1900-1945, where we have been trading books. He told me to read the first story in Salinger's Nine Stories, which blew me away and he has my copy of Naked Lunch. I'm thinking about getting him to the next get together at Revel, which may or may not happen this month. I'm not naming him just yet because I haven't this over with him and he may not want to be named on all the Internet for all the world to read.
Well, the American election results look to be happening tonight. As always, I am supporting Obama and wish him all the work. What with me coming out with my true identity, my parents have been warning me about politics and what I say, because I am liable to insult someone. So far my only real complaint I got was from the Anti-Mennonite Reactionaries that are the American Mustache Institute (who still haven't had the guts to reply to my email), but still I am not pretty keen on Sarah Palin, who scares me. Still, I have prepared the following statement which I believe will not offend as many people, but I have decided is appropriate enough.
If Sarah Palin is ever ELECTED President of the United States of America, and I want to emphasize elected, not McCain dying and her remaining in charge, I mean elected, then I am leaving the continent. I do not think I can physically live on the same landmass that has Sarah Palin as a national leader. America will have seriously fallen in my eyes. Thankfully, I see this as seriously unlikely, as there are hundreds of people more qualified to run for President then Sarah Palin and the way she's going she's going to say or do something really stupid that will alienate a lot of people or someone in power will stop her before she becomes a serious threat. I will miss her crazy shenanigans, but I feel I can better enjoy them from Europe, or maybe somewhere in the Caribbean. If I wasn't nervous about the government in Cuba I'd probably move there, but again I'm not supposed to upset Republicans on my blog, and I am a bit nervous about totalitarian government.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dylan,

Thank you for your ignorance and for embracing the evil that is beard weevils. We at the American Mustache Institute enjoy being framed as "Anti-Mennonite Reactionaries," and hope this may become a part of our mantra moving forward.

Anonymous said...

I think you're safe, there are an awful lot of people in the United States that echo your sentiments. Besides, if McCain supporters couldn't get it together enough to go to the polls, I think they're probably too lazy to cross the border and come looking for you ;-)

To be fair to McCain, he gave a beautiful and gracious concession speech. But I think if Sarah Palin was ever elected, I would be looking for a new continent too.

Dylan said...

Thanks for the support Silk, McCain did have a pretty good speech.