Monday, December 19, 2005

What you missed

Okay, I’ve been feeling pretty bad over the last few days. Emotionally, that is. I blame my stupid Samurai Essay, which is finally done...
(Villagers come out and dance around a maypole, "Safety Dance," by Men Without Hats starts playing and the Heavens open up to reveal a choir of angels opening up to "You Can’t Always Get What You Want," by the Rolling Stones)
...Yeah, that’s how I feel.
Anyway, before I felt all nice I was in a great deal of stress with this essay. I talked it over with my parents and it eventually lead to how I don’t like the position my life is in right know. My dad said that I shouldn’t worry about it and that I don’t need to know what my life will actually be until a few more years. Naturally, I told him I was going to be a writer. Dad replied to this by saying that I should do something else because writing is something that doesn’t pay well or something. Then he said that I should do it because I enjoy writing.
See, I’m not sure that I enjoy writing. I guess on some level I do, maily the bit were I get it done and I don’t have to worry about it anymore. I really need to think about this more.
Anyway, yesterday I went to my Dad’s family Christmas Dinner. I got Napoleon Dynamite and Gattaca on DVD. That’s all.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling bad. And as to you saying you enjoy writing when you've finished whatever project you were working on, I understand completely. In most cases, that's how I feel as well. And it's for that reason that I've wondered many, many times about whether or not I should become a writer or not. If it helps you in your decision or not, what decided it for me is that story that I wrote and sent to you a few months ago. Honestly, I don't think that was a very good story, but I enjoyed writing it SO much. And also I'm currently working on what I hope will become a novel (it's hard to tell though with my work ethic...sometimes it's hard to find motivation to write, I'm sure you know what I mean) and despite the days when the last thing I feel like doing is writing, I'm thoroughly enjoying writing it as well. I guess the point to all my rambling here is to pose a question to you, not one that I want an answer to, but one that I think you should think about as you decide whether or not you truly enjoy writing is, With your writing is there ever a time when you enjoy the process of creating in addition to the finished product?

Also, aside from this mini-lecture, I have something related to it that I'll post on my blog in the coming days probably.

Dylan said...

Thank you Steph.

I agree with you. I really like the writing bit. I find the descriptions a little hard, but I think I'm going to try my hand at graphic novelization. I don't have to worry about describing the physical characeristics of the characters, and I can add bits of prose when I feel like it. Anyway, I'm going to work on the first volume over the next few days, along with a new short story I started yesterday.

Again, thank you for your comment

Goldie said...

Just stopped by to wish you happy holidays. Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, or whatever you plan on celebrating this season, to you and your family!