Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Celebreties and Religion

Yesterday, because there was nothing else interesting on, I watched a thing about celebrities and the religions they follow. It was really one of those things that you watch and think, oh my God I can’t believe I am watching this. Anyway, seeing this program I saw a lot of things that I felt were wrong in the spiritual sense.
First, I learnt about something called Kabbalah water. It’s basically water that has been blessed by Kabbalic Rabbi’s. Which is okay, but what really unnerves me is that it is two-thousand dollars. I really don’t think that’s a good idea for the Jewish religion to be attached to something like that. I mean it’s the jews for God’s sake. They have a stereotype for this kind of thing. They should be steering away from this kind of stuff.
Second, I learned that Christina Agulera went on a "pilgrimage" to India. I’m okay with pilgrimages to India, I plan on doing it myself some day, I just don’t think what Ms. Agulera did counts as a pilgrimage counted because she stayed at a five star hotel with a personal valet and visited the various temples during the day. The chances of Christina Agulera reading my blog are slim to nil, but by some amazing chance that she is reading this THAT IS NOT A PILGRIMAGE, THAT IS TOURISM. A REAL PILGRIMAGE INVOLVES STAYING IN MONASTERIES OVERNIGHT WITHOUT ANY SERVANTS OR ANYTHING. If you know Christina Agulera, please pass my message on.
Thirdly, Jesus head medallions. See, I don’t think Jesus would be into medallions in the shape of his head made out of solid gold, diamonds and rubies and shit like that. He wasn’t that in the riches and stuff and I just don’t think it’s right to have Jesus head medallions. Can’t rappers settle with a normal crucifix like everyone else? I don’t even think these guys are Christian as much as they wear crosses incrusted with diamonds. I don’t wear a cross, but if I did it wouldn’t be that prominent. Sure I’d wear it outside, but you wouldn’t be able to see it from across the street. If I wanted that I would wear a Jesus is my homey T-shirt.
Okay, that’s it. I also learned what Scientology is. It’s basically gnostism in space.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Firstly, I'd like to second your vote that what Christina did does not count as a pilgrimage. I can't say as I know her, but I'll add my own "tisk, tisk" to your complaint on her, should anyone decide to pass this message on to her. :P

Also, good point about the crosses and Jesus head medallions. I rather agree with you there. Particularly with these "gangsta" rappers. They wear those huge crosses, to perhaps proclaim their devoutness in their Christian faith, and yet they "sing" about getting stoned, and killing people and whatever. Yeah, maybe it's me, but that's seems kinda like a mixed message...

Dylan said...

Exactly my point. I also failed to menchon that the guy who was talking about this hade a really arrogent voice. It was almost like saying "I am better then you because I have more money. Ha. Ha. Ha," It's just one of those things that makes me wan't to say "Shut Up!,"

Steph said...

Mhm, same here.