Monday, July 21, 2008

Open Doors, Day One

Hey faithful readers. I'm currently typing this from Ron Eydt village at the University of Waterloo. Thanks to my status as a person of autism, I am now on a week long program to get me used to the idea of university. I'm living in a dorm, going to various places and learning the ins and outs of U of W. This program is called Open Doors because it's suppose to Open the Doors of University.
So far I have to say that this is a real cool place. They have swimming pool, and a seven floor library which I'm going to check for ancient alchemical texts, a used bookstore on campus and a pub called the Bomber that has open mike nights on Mondays. Unfortunately there aren't any open mike nights in summer, but they will start in September so I'll probably drop by and read some poetry or bits of a novel.
The only problem is that I am starting to feel a bit nervous. I'm spending the night with strange people in a strange place. The bed isn't that comfortable either. I got a lot of familiar stuff, Ralph, my Ipod, On the Road and The Name of the Rose, as well as some poetry by William Blake and Arthur Rimbaud. I picked up the complete works of Arthur Rimbaud at Chapters on Saturday, and will be reading it over the summer.
I'll be updating you on the whole Open Doors thing as I go. I'll post in tomorrow with how things are going. There is a chance that I'll be playing some Dungeons and Dragons while I'm here, but at the moment I'm just going to get my barrings.

No comments: