Thursday, July 17, 2008

Full Schedule

Yesterday I officially had my right-of-passage into young adulthood. My pastor was there and we did various rituals, some involving sweet-grass. For some reason I had the idea of something sort of Native-American, don't know why since I'm Irish-Mennonite. We had sweet grass anyways, which smelt nice and helped bring in positive energy. My sister says it smells like weed.
This whole right-of-passage thing was mainly designed to help me in my next step to adulthood, which is University. I'm a bit nervous, as I may or may not have told you, because it's new and new and unknownness isn't something that I enjoy much. Also, I've looked at the notes for orientation week at Conrad Grebel and they have something called Koopa training that is making me feel a bit nervous, since I know that Koopas are those turtles that Mario jumps on and I don't want to be jumped on by an Italian with a mushroom problem. That's probably not what it means, but the whole Mario theme is a bit worrying for me.
I'm sure University will be great once I get the handle of it. But other then that I don't know if I'll fit into Conrad Grebel. To be honest, the Mennonite Church does seem to have a sense of humour, but it seems to be on more or less the same plane as Veggie Tales. Not that there's anything wrong with Veggie Tales, it's a great show, but I don't really see it as one I enjoy that much.
Anyways, you may have noticed that the title of this post is "Full Schedule." That's basically because I am going to be a lot of places in the next week or so. Tomorrow, my Dungeons and Dragons buddies are getting married (the people, not there characters). Then I'm off to the Holden County Folk Festival to listen to folk music and eat some good food. After that I'm going to Open Doors, which is an orientation week for people with "learning disabilities" or whatever, which I qualify for. I don't think to much of the name, but I'll get to changing it to the socially transcendent later. Then I have a poetry reading at my favorite local coffee shop, so I need to figure out where I can find something to present, read it a couple times and then enjoy the night. Today however, I will relax as much as possible.
Finally, I'm at the Library and have picked up the following books to look over.
  • Great Short Works of Mark Twain, by Mark Twain
  • The Unabridged Jack London, by Jack London
  • The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, by William Shakespeare. Hopefully I can figure out what all the fuss is about now.
  • The Complete Illustrated Stories, Plays and Poems of Oscar Wilde, by Oscar Wilde
  • Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, by Haruki Murakami

No comments: