Monday, March 24, 2008

The Top Five Desert Island Book List (First Draft)

I've been thinking about making a list of books that I'd like to have with me if I were on a Desert Island. This is the list I have at the time.
  1. Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, by Tom Robbins. I'd like to say that any Tom Robbins book will do, but I've only read this one from start to finished. But that would probubly be true, because Tom Robbins prose is a delight to read. Also, I can relate to Sissy Hankshaw as she has a social stigma that seperates her from the normal human race, in this case freaky huge thumbs. Naturally, she becomes a hitchhiker. The story features Lesbian cowgirls, a homosexual cosmetics millionare, whooping crane and an escapee from a Japanese internment camp.
  2. The Stand (uncut and extended), by Stephen King. This is one of my favorite Stephen King novels and it's easier then just bringing the entire Dark Tower series. Tells the story of the battle between good and evil after a plauge desimates America. Inspired Lost and the backbone of my Hippie Stories. Randall Flagg is the best villian ever.
  3. The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov, written in secret during the worst days of the Soviet Union, this book features Woland (Satan) and his retinue of demons, witches and cats recking havoc upon the Soviet Literary Elite, as well as a Faustian love story and a look back at the last days of Jesus Christ. I'm reading it at the moment.
  4. Smoke and Mirrors or Fragile Things, by Neil Gaiman, A book of short stories will be nessisary and Neil Gaiman writes good short stories. Both of these are good choices. If they ever make a book of complete short stories of Neil Gaiman I'll take that, but since we don't have that I'll probubly take Smoke and Mirrors, since it has "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar"
  5. The Complete Works of William Blake, by William Blake. I figure it would be nice to have some poetry and I always meant to read William Blake's epic poems. It could also work as something inspirational.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Hey, this is a good idea. Not that I've read any of those books (though my grandmother's all-time favorite book is The Stand). Do you mind if I borrow this idea for my blog eventually?

Dylan said...

Sure, I'd love to see what's on your list.