Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pope is overated

Well, it's halfway through March Break and I'm holding of to do actual homework till latter because I am lazy. I do plan on getting Module 5 and 6 0r 7 soon. I'm going to have to read "The Rape of the Lock" by Alexander Pope a few times, but other then that I feel confident. I could complain about Pope being a traditionalist who wrote annoying sixteen page long poems about gnomes and slyphs and unlocking something, but I should be keeping my mind on Module 5 which is easier. The poems are only sonnets and they don't use epic language to express everyday activities, which is confusing and should not be sixteen frelling pages.
In the meantime, I've been checking out Universities. It looks like I'll be living at Conrad Grabel, which is a small campus owned by the Mennonite Church that has the best cookies I have ever hade in my life. I might just go to Waterloo, which I checked out yesterday, since I'll only be taking Arts courses like Religion, English and Fine Arts, which is all in the same place. Conrad Grabel is still close to Wilfred Laurier, so I could walk there. I also went to the Old Goat Book Store, where I bought the following.
  • The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, by Gertrude Stein. Yes, I know that's an oxymoron, you'd have to take it up with Gertrude Stein or Alice B. Toklas. Unfortunatly, there both dead. To confuse you more it's more about Gertrude Stein.
  • The Lady in the Lake, by Raymond Chandler. It has Philip Marlowe in it. I have never read anything with Philip Marlowe, but since you can spot a parody of him a mile away even if you've never heard of him, then I probubly should. Also, Chandler was an influence on The Big Lebowski.
  • The Silver Warriors, by Michael Moorcock. I own more Moorcock then any other writer. If you can't pick up cheep Moorcock at any Used Bookstore, then you don't have a decent Used Bookstore in my opinion. The only problem is that I have so many Moorcock books that when I go to a Used Bookstore I am hardpressed to find a book that I don't already own.
  • The Last Two Books about Hawkmoon in the Count Brass trilogy, I can't remember the name but it's by Michael Moorcock.

I'm going back to check out Wilfred Laurier and then to KW Bookstore and Casablanca Books. I'll be writing up a list of books to look for sometime tonight when I'm done this stupid Metaphysical Poetry Module. That's all I can think about writing today. Good night and good luck.

No comments: