Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Continuing Saga of the Great University Residence Hunt

So my parents and I went to check out Conrad Grebel to see how Aspie-friendly it would be. Conrad Grebel is a residence on the Waterloo Campus that my parents are thinking about sending me. I had no problem. It was nice, cozy and had good cookies. From what we heard Conrad Grebel would have a good community. Unfortunatly, the interview didn't go over well. The lady we talked to had very little experience with Aspergers Syndrome. They only had one person, a girl who found it very difficult. During the conversation we could see why that was.
The woman we talked to wasn't conserned about making getting me into Conrad Grebel, as much as how I would effect the rest of the community. Also, there idea of a community seems to be complete devotion to the community. I also meet none of the qualifications that are needed. I don't have much in the way of community involvement such as being the president or anything. To be honest, the only thing that I meet is that I'm Mennonite. Apparently, if your Mennonite you have a much higher chance. To be honest, the problem with Conrad Grebel is there to autistic. They seem to want everything to be this perfectly run community and nothing to be stressful. My pressence there would distrub them. Ironically, I was sitting there thinking how we could work this out and be flexable. In the end however, I think that this may not be the best fit for me, though Conrad Grebel does seem to need a some stirring up if it's that homogenous.
My Mom was very disapointed with the entire thing, but know we're going to look into other residences at Waterloo. At this point I don't know what I'm going to do. Waterloo University, which Conrad Grebel is part off, has hundreds of courses and seems to meet me academically. We just don't know if it's a good environment for me yet. Wilfred Laurier, which we're also looking into, has a much better support network. The Wilfred Laurier lady we talked there was very calm and had figget toys for me to play with and made me feel very good. The Conrad Grebel made me feel a bit uneasy.
My parents plan on checking into other residences in Waterloo, well my mom is, but my dad will want to know too. We're looking for a room I can have to myself, since I would make a terrible roommate. That was another thing factor in me not being excepted into Conrad Grebel, every room except for the Don's is a double residence. To be a Don I'd have to have more years and help people with there own social problems (great job choice right?). Anyways, we went home and I went to Tango lessons, which I am very good at. That's all I've got to say.

2 comments:

Dan said...

So I take it that commuting to university and/or taking online classes isn't much of an option?

Of course, with the price of gas going up so much lately, it might not actually be cheaper for me to drive to class for much longer...but I'm graduating next year anyway, so I might be able to avoid the residence/roommate trouble entirely.

I generally find things are much easier if I can just get the "dealing with other people" stuff to disappear.

Dylan said...

My plan at the moment is to jump into this University thing head first.