Monday, January 15, 2007

Ponderings on Christianity or the Gay Marriage of Heaven and Hell

So awhile back I got the idea of what would happen if Satan wanted to get back into heaven. Not in charge of a great big army, but just go to Heaven and say "Alright, I'm sorry for the whole original sin thing. Can I come back know?" So that was the starting point for the story I will know relate to you.
So things are going well in Hell. The sinful are being torchered, innocents are being tempted, the Soul selling trade is at an all time high and things are looking really good for Hell. Unfortunatly, the Lord Satan has disapeared. This could easily launch into a search for Satan, while the Lords of Hell try to make sure that hell dosn't go to...well hell. Hell also has to keep Heaven from knowing this, because if this leaks up then there looking at a full scale heavenly invasion.
Satan in the meantime, has come to Earth to get his thoughts together. He's grown tired of this whole hell thing and for the first time in eons is wondering if he should repent. He spends a large amount of time in a dinner in New Mexico trying to figure out if he should try going back to Heaven, and if they'd actually let him in.
Meanwhile in Heaven, two former poets, John Milton and William Blake have gotten feed up with doing TPS reports. Blake, in an attempt to lossen up his puritan co-worker Milton, talks him into taking a buisness trip to Earth with the intension of getting Milton laid (by Blake at least) where they get into somekind of trouble. I see Milton and Blake having this Abbot and Costello thing about them, what with Milton being a staight lased Puritan and Blake being a radical. I also plan on using them as counter-points.
Also in Heaven, God the father is trying desperatly to keep the Trinity in whole. His son Jesus is becoming more and more against about the war with Hell, and is getting involved with the Ethereal Peace movement. The Holy Spirit is know help at all, and is spending most of her time hanging out in coffee shops discussing the beat generation with philosophy majors.
Meanwhile on Earth, a gay couple is trying desperatly to get officially married and have become the source keeping a gay community in somewhere in America, maybe Texas. What the public dosn't know is that this gay couple is actually a rouge angel and demon who fell in love and eloped to Earth. During this time they created a child, who believes that she's adopted and has no idea of her parents are actually an angel and a demon, and what this actually means about her.
Somehow, I don't know yet how, all these story lines merge into one (well they have to) and the complete change of the devine order.
Well, what do you think? How many copies do you think the religious right will burn? No, that is not my intention, I only want to write this story because I can think it is very interesting. Dan Brown has started of this whole Chirstian theorizing band wagon and quite frankly I think this book may just be better then the Da Vinci Code, just because I see alot of themes developing. First, Redemption. Can anyone be redemmed? Is there a level at which you can't be redemmed? In my defence, this is a basic Christian belief in my experience. Second, family issues. God the Father is having generational problems with God the Son (Jesus). God wants Jesus to carry on the family buisness when he's gone, or he would if he wasn't eternal, but he's nervous about Jesus and his strange ideas like actually making peace with hell. In the meantime the angel-demon gay couple are having parenting issues with there daughter. (This will mean I'll have to explore what kind of parenting issues in a gay couple. The birds and the bees talk would have a whole new demension for one thing). Thridly, I like the idea of John Milton and William Blake going on a road trip and bantering back and forth. The basic idea would be for them to argue different views about the nature of the universe and poetry. They'd also have conversations like this...
Milton: I'm driving.
Blake: No your not.
Milton: What are you talking about, I'm older then you.
Blake: Yeah, but your blind.
Milton: We're dead. That stopped mattering. Technically we're not even supposed to have physical bodies.
Blake: Yeah, well you'll need it with what your going to do.
Milton: I'm not having sex, Bill.
Blake: Oh loosen up John. Give me the keys.
Milton: No.
Blake: Give me the keys, John.
Milton: No.
Blake: Give'm John.
Milton: No
(Blake ressels the keys out of Milton's grasp)
Milton: Your driving.
Blake: I'm driving.

Well, I find it amusing.
I think many people are picking up a sort of humourous quality, and the approach I'm taking on this is similar to Kevin Smith's Dogma. I admit that Dogma is probubly one of my inspirations for this story, and I am probubly going to dedicate the book to him. If possible I'd like him to do the introduction and possibly get permision to use that thing at the beginning of Dogma. The thing about saving one's own ass. Some Religious Right preacher guy to do it just for laughs. He probubly wouldn't do it, but it would be hilarious if he would, wouldn't it? I may just write something like that. Could be part of the advertising, If you hated the Da Vinci Code, then you probubly wouldn't like this book much either. I may even add a parody of Dan Brown in the novel and do a whole theme about books that the Religious Right would hate. It would be an interesting demension to add.
So anyway, that's the idea for my story. Please comment on what you think.

2 comments:

ZZZZZZZ said...

I think it is absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to read more!! I love the conversation Blake and Milton had. You are truly brilliant!

Dylan said...

Yeah. I'm still trying to figure out how to actually write it, and it may take awhile to get out the actual style, except for a rather odvious satire. I just can't write a novel deeling with serious theological concepts and remain serious at the same time.