Friday, November 04, 2005

Six more days and more babbaling on my writing career

Sorry that it’s been so long. I’ve tried to get around to making a new post, but I couldn’t seem to find the time.
First, It will be my birthday in a few days. Six if you want a definite number. I’m really excited. I was hoping for an Ipod, but my parents say that it is to out of our price range, so I just asked for a new CD walkman for my upcoming trip to Italy and Greece, as well as some new CDs. I also asked for the new Neil Gaiman (Anansi Boys) and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for Dungeons and Dragons. Let’s tally up the price of all this.

FORGOTTEN REALMS CAMPAIGN SETTING: $50.95
ANANSI BOYS, BY NEIL GAIMAN: $36.95
NEW CD WALKMAN: $24.99
JOYFUL REBELLION BY K-OS (CD): $22.99
EXIT, BY K-OS (CD): $18.99
TOMMY, BY THE WHO (CD): $17.99
DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS MAP FOLIO 1: $14.95
STREAMS OF SILVER, BY R.A. SALVATORE: $10.99
THE HALFLING’S GEM, BY R.A. SALVATORE: $10.99
STONE OF FAREWELL, BY TAD WILLIAMS: $9.99
NEW SEASON OF STARGATE SG-1 STARTING ON MY BIRTHDAY: PRICELESS
FACT MY BIRTHDAY CORRESPONDS WITH NEIL GAIMAN’S, WHO IS MY FAVORITE WRITER: ALSO PRICELESS
TOTAL PRICE: $219.78
This is presuming that they get me all the stuff I want on this list, which I doubt.
In other news related to my writing. It goes on at a snail’s pace. I have two short stories on the go and I haven’t been putting much effort into either of them. While I have come up with some good ideas for short stories I don’t have the drive to do write them, or finish what I’m writing. Creativity isn’t an issue for me, I can come up with all kinds of worlds. An alternate history were Alexander the Great’s Empire stayed in power, A Fantasy setting based on Africa inhabited by a cursed warrior-mage who can only come out at night and is running a personal vendetta against a corrupt trade-empire, the life and times of a changeling child brought up among humans who has survived to the present day and his encounters with historical figures such as St. Patrick, William Wallace, Marco Polo, Saladin, Shakespeare, Queen Elizabeth the 1st, The founding fathers of America, Emperor Norton the 1st, Robert A. Heinlein and Albert Einstein. A superhero with a combination of Aspergers Syndrome, Telekenis and a really messed up childhood at a residential boarding school that makes him the most powerful and feared being in the western hemisphere. I have come up with this, granted the Alexander thing might have been a little obvious, but I’d like to see what would have happened if Alexander the Great concurred the entire world.Even so, I am a storehouse of ideas. I just lack the drive. Wait, no simply writing about my ideas makes me want to put them down and see them in print. Hm, guess I do have drive.
I have decided that if I’m going into Graphic Novelization, I want to draw the pictures for them. I have clear ideas of what I want them to look like and I don’t want people making pictures of them that aren’t right. I do like drawing the stuff that I read in a comic book, so it could be fun. My school library has a few graphic novels and I’ve been looking at the pictures. I really like the guy who dose the art for Sandman and Swamp Thing.
I have also trying out poetry. I think it has something to do with reading Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, since John Keats is a major character. This gave me the idea on getting a book with some of Keat’s poetry and I thought "Hey, why don’t I right some of this," I haven’t written anything yet, but I may still get around to doing it.
Well, that about wraps it up. Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curious about your choice of 'Tommy' by The Who. This album was actually inspired in part by something Pete Townshend read about autism. The character in the album is actually autistic rather than literally deaf, dumb and blind (that is just a metaphor from what I can gather). Just curious if you already knew that or have already heard the album. I heard that album a few years back and strangely identified with it, even though I had never heard of Asperger's at the time.

Mark B.

Dylan said...

No, I didn't no that it was about someone with autism. That is very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Autism is never actually mentioned on the album, but I remember reading an interview with Pete Townshend where he said the inspiration for the character of Tommy came from what he had read about autistic children. The idea is that Tommy is oblivous to things around him and is permenantly in his own world, but he becomes spiritually enlightened and can 'see' things the rest of us can't. He has a 'savant' skill, which is his amazing ability at playing pinball. It's a very moving album, especially if you know where Townshend got the inspiration from.

Dylan said...

okay