Thursday, October 06, 2005

War? What War?

I don’t watch the news, but I occasionally hear about what’s going on around the world by chance, and one thing that has been bothering me is that I am not hearing anything about the war in Iraq. I asked my mom about this, because she is addicted to the news, and she said that she hasn’t heard anything either.
This is a bit of a problem. I’m against the war in Iraq, I’m against war in general, but the least that the American people could do is to talk about the pointless war that’s going on to supply the Galactic Empire with the vital Spice that must flow (That was an allusion to Frank Herbert’s Dune series, Spice is the miracle substance that the Empire runs on in the series. I mean oil). Didn’t they show Vietnam on CNN or something? Vietnam was about as pointless as Iraq, didn’t they pay more attention then this. I understand with all the hurricanes and everything the American people are a little distracted, but think of the Veterans, man. I’ll bet there a little pissed about the complete lack of coverage for the war. I am as sorry as I can be for the people who’s lives have been screwed up by the Hurricanes, but I still think that if your going to have a pointless war you should at least give the poor boys over there some more TV time so we can all see how pointless this is.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Two reasons for this: It's not a real war in some respects. There's been no proper funding or planning for a war in Iraq, and there aren't enough of the properly trained people there to fight it. There are established rules and international laws about how wars should be ran, and the US simply doesn't care. If people know what was going on, they'd know that we had torture camps that violate the Genova Conventions (which we've declared oursleve above, anyway), and the people would know we're moving at a snail's pace. A number of stunts and other issues have distracted the press, and the President's using that to his advantage.

Which brings me to my next point about why we don't hear about this war - they don't want us to hear about it. It's getting better now, but they didn't want us to know that we were failing. It helped the President get reelected even though he had done a bad job. I was assuming that up in Canada, you'd get more accurate news about it, since your government didn't have a reason to hide details from you, but I guess not. The media's been making the news look a bit rosier than it is to hide the truths we don't want to hear - it's how they get money, by giving us what we want.

BTW, I meant to comment on that last post. The Joshua Tree's a good pick, although as classic U2 goes, I prefer Achtung Baby. That's cool that you were on the radio too.