Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Monday off, How I Hate the Spartans and Returned Access to the Library

On Monday, my stomach wasn’t feeling that good. I stayed home because of it, even after Lunch when it was feeling better. It was a pretty good time. I watched Fistful of Dollars, starring Clint Eastwood. It was a good movie. I also found a Library card that I had previously lost. I didn’t go because my mom said that it wasn’t fair since I didn’t go to school.
The next day I went to the Library. I returned most of the books I had out and got two new ones. One is the Ringworld Engineers, by Larry Niven and the other is a collection of short stories by Robert E. Howard. I Like the Ringworld Engineers, but I haven’t got into the Robert E. Howard book. In case your wondering, Robert E. Howard is the guy who came up with Conan the Barbarian. Since it is in more or less the style of R.A. Salvatore’s Drizzt Saga, I figured I would give it a try, but I understand that the character of Conan is more dark then Drizzt.
I’m thinking about trying to come up with my own sword and sorcery stories. I’m working on a Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting that could work as that. I may have talked about this in an earlier post. I may also try and get something about Nai’Atha to whoever is in charge of Forgotten Realms books at Wizards of the Coast. Nai’Atha is a character I play in Dungeons and Dragons, but I use him exclusively in Forgotten Realms. Alright, I have only played in the Forgotten Realms, but I plan on keeping it like that. I think I could make it a five-book series. The Nai’Atha Epic, I could call it. I don’t know if it would happen, because I plan and hope Nai’Atha as being a sort of rouge element in the political landscape of Forgotten Realms.
Anyway, today I learned about the Spartans in history class. The Spartans were a Greek city-state that were famous for there militaristic life-style. I don’t like the Spartans because they had complete control over the people for the survival of their nation with no regard for the individual’s development as a person. They are a good example with my beliefs of nationalism. If I haven’t already told you about my feelings of nationalism, I will explain them now.
I believe that Nationalism is bad because it has leaders, and while some leaders are okay people I give Elizabeth the First and Woodrow Wilson as examples, they can also be really screwed up people who desire military conquest at the expense (and lives) of there citizens. This is pointless because nations are not real things as much as abstract concepts that serve no real purpose. To me, the ideal society is where all people get along because religious, racial and political differences are not an issue, because they do not exist. I will go into further detail in my next post.

1 comment:

Goldie said...

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

My deepest sympathies are with you and your family.

PS. I really like Pink Floyd.