Monday, October 17, 2005

Heimingway, Free Internet Radio and other things

My writing is bothering me. It’s not that I hate doing it, I just that writing seems to be the only real job that I want and I am capable of doing. I can see myself working as an artist, I am a bit of a sketch artist and I do draw a lot of my creations and such, but in the end I wouldn’t be able to not write. Even writing this makes me want to write more. I mean fiction.
The problem I have is that I don’t think I’m that good. I mean I’m pretty good at coming up with new and fantastic worlds and that is pretty important when you’re a science fiction and fantasy writer, but I don’t think I have the right knowledge to actually write it. My dad says that I should read some non-science fiction works. So I got a copy of The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway and a collection of his short stories. I also got Ray Bradbury’s Zen and the Art of Writing and a list of classic novels to read. I’m hoping that reading all this will give me a better understanding of writing.
Also, I have learned that I really don’t like the term Science Fiction, something about it just doesn’t appeal to me, so know on I will call it Scientific Romance as H.G. Welles did before me.
Well, now to talk about what happened at school today.
In Latin, I hade some bread with olive oil on it. I also learned that there is something of a cult following of Grumio in the world of Latin academia. Grumio is a slave to Caecilius in the first unit of Latin and he is popular among my Latin class. One of my classmates believes that Grumio has managed to survive to the present day. Unlikely since Grumio never existed.
In Communications Technology, we watched an episode of the Apprentice, a program that I have never watched until today. The people on the Apprentice were assigned to create an add campaign for a Laborgini, which is a fancy form of car. Our teacher did this because we are going to do an add campaign for high heal shoes. I’m okay with this, because while I am against the corporation this doesn’t affect my beliefs much. I’m a little unsure about our project manager’s competence however.
For Lunch, I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich and to much trifle.
Math went by without me falling asleep for too long. I have some homework to do. I think I’ll get around to it after dinner.
In History we watched more of Troy. I saw Troy in the theatres and didn’t like it that much. It wasn’t as faithful to the original to the best of my knowledge. I’m not an expert on it or even know that much about the story, but I have a ruff outline of the story.
When I got home I went searching for a new source of free Internet radio, since I have finally lost my useless yahoo account. I have found a new source of toons on the Internet and will see how this works for me.

2 comments:

Steph said...

That Zen in the Art of Writing book totally inspired me to write a lot of new stuff. I hope it has the same effect on you.

And I've been having much the same internal debate about my writing --about whether I am smart enough to really sell my ideas. But at the same time, I have found a muse, who not only inspires me with ideas, but he's smart enough that he can help with me with the details.

Though I guess I can't exactly say, "Writer, go out and get yourself a muse!" Doubt that'd work, but I can say to keep your eyes out for one! :)

Dylan said...

Thank you Steph. I appreciate that.