Sunday, October 09, 2005

My theory about making freinds

As an Aspie, I have difficulties around people. To me social interaction is a completely alien concept. I spend my life on the outside of human civilization looking in. Temple Grandin (I hope I’m spelling this right) defines this as one of the key factors to the Aspie mind, we are observers of the human condition. However, we can have theories. That is what this post is about, my theories on a social interaction. This is how I believe making friends works. Please give feed back.
The way I see it there is two ways of making friends. First, you find someone and find a common ground. This happened with my friend Loncrow and more recently with some kids in my Latin class who play Dungeons and Dragons. The second way is that you meet someone who is friends with a friend you already have. That is what happened with me and Ruric.
That’s it, and happy Thanksgiving for anyone in Canada.

2 comments:

Steph said...

I'd say that's a good start for a friendship. Both ways are. But there's much more to it, I think. To actually make a friend you have to connect with them somehow.

For example, I am obsessed with dragons. I've met many, many people with the very same fixation as me, but they're not all my friends. In fact, there are quite a few that I just do not like.

I think the connection is on the subconscious level.

I'm not an Aspie, but I observe people from an outside perspective anyways. Hence the term "outsider."

I think there are some people, your best friends perhaps, that you just bond with instantly without all the hassle of getting to know their likes and dislikes. And then there are others that you take the time to get to know for whatever reason, and as time passes, you just grow fond of them, and become more comfortable around them.

That's just my theory.

Dylan said...

Thank you for the feed back Steph