Saturday, September 24, 2005

What I've been reading

Alright, first of I would like to tell everybody about the books I’ve been reading. You can read these books to if you want, but you’ll have to get your own copies.
First, I have discovered a new writer. His name is Avram Davidson, and apparently a lot of famous writers in the science fiction genre like him. I’ve never heard of him, but the two short stories in the collection I found are great. I especially like "The Golem," in which a Jewish couple meet an android. What I liked about this story is that the couple didn’t take this android very seriously, while the android was going on about his creation and how he plans on destroying humanity, the couple is going on about their daily life. Eventually the husband rewires the android and sets him to work mowing the lawn. I really liked this story for it’s quirkiness. I recommend Avram Davidson, but I understand finding any of his work will be hard.
Second, I have finished the sequel to Dan Simmons’ masterpiece of science fiction, Hyperion. This book, Fall of Hyperion, tells the continuation of the seven pilgrim’s journey and the fall of the Hegemony of Man and TechnoCore. This book has everything a good science-fiction novel needs. It has vast interstellar war, political intrigue, detailed worlds, interesting characters, weird religions, the second coming of Christ, everything. I recommend this whole series, I’m on the next book already. I’m only sorry that most of the original pilgrims are dead, what with it being over two hundred years in the future, but from what I hear that won’t keep Martin Silenus down.
On a related note, I understand that they (the Hollywood people) are going to try making Hyperion into a movie. I’m a little nervous about this, because I don’t see Hyperion as a movie. I’m curious about it though, wondering about who they would cast as who. If I was in charge of it I would make it as a miniseries, but I’d get Jack Black to play Martin Silenus, the poet, not because I imagine Martin Silenus as looking like Jack Black, but because I can easily see Jack Black playing Martin Silenus. You would have to read the book. I think I’ll make this into a post. Who I would cast as the characters in Hyperion.
Thirdly, I am reading The Crystal Shard, by R.A. Salvatore. I believe I have said that I am a fan of Drizzt Do’Urden and this book is a Drizzt novel. I wouldn’t say that he’s the star in this one, but he is a major character. I like the book so far, the characters are a little lacking so far, but keep in mind this is R.A. Salvatore’s first novel.
Also, I went to the Library today and picked up some novels that I plan to be reading soon.
  • Only You Can Save Mankind, by Terry Pratchett
  • Endymion, by Dan Simmons
  • Castle of Days, by Gene Wolfe

No comments: