Saturday, September 10, 2005

After a long period of contemplating the infinite and handling a turbulent sea of emotions it helps to read some P.G. Wodehouse

I was really troubled emotionally. What with me being a teenager who asks really big questions and a berserker who gets control on my body for three seconds whenever I get frustrated, which can be once every three minutes. So after talking about this stuff with my dad, I decided to read a short story by P.G. Wodehouse.
P.G.Wodehouse is a famous British humourist who is famous for writing these funny little stories about the British upperclass. I haven’t read much of his work except for some short stories about this guy called Bertie Wooster who is basically this lazy good-for-nothing who is a sure sign of Britain’s decline as a world power. The only reason that he’s still alive is that he had the luck to be born in the upper-class. Wooster also has a valet named Jeeves who’s job is to take care of Wooster, sort of like an Educational Assistant. Jeeves is everything Wooster is not and balances out Wooster’s parasitic relationship on the British Empire. Jeeve’s main job is getting Bertie and his freinds out of all these situations that they find themselves in.
(I actually don’t care much for Bertie’s life-style, just to tell you)
I first discovered this Wodehouse guy while reading a novella in the Otherland series. One of the worlds in the Otherland Network is based on his work. Jeeves hade a small cameo in the novella, but he wasn’t that important in the grand scheme of the plot. I was curious about this simulation world so I looked up P.G. Wodehouse and found he had some works in my local library. I found the stories mildly entertaining and I would like to see where I could find a copy of a few of these stories.
Anyway, I recommend his work. End Article.

No comments: