Monday, September 05, 2005

New Orleans and the Heinlein Prophecies

Awhile ago it really sunk into me. New Orleans is gone. It is no more, it lives on only in the hearts of those who lived there. That sort of thing. Well, after learning this I was stunned. An entire city has been whipped out by the forces of nature.
One of my family friend brought up that this reminded her of Sodom and Gamora, in the Bible. This has been a story that bothers me. The basic premiss was that there was a guy called Lot, who lived with his wife and two kids in and around the Sodom-Gamora area. Now Sodom and Gamora were really party towns that had broken every sin that the Jewish people have. So one day these two guys came over to Lot’s house and said they needed room, so Lot lets him in. So at some other point that day some guys from Sodom and Gamora came over because they heard that there were some hot young guys over at Lots house. This is the part that bothers me, He tells them "Oh, don’t do that to these complete strangers. Here, rape my two daughters." Well, after that it turns out that these two guys were angels sent from God, patted him on the back, told him to get out of Sodom and Gamora as fast as humanly possible, Sodom and Gamora are nuked and Lot’s wife Rebecca is turned into a pillar of salt.
Mind, I’m not into other guys they way the natives of Sodom and Gamora were. I wouldn’t want it forced upon me, but Lot didn’t even bother to ask his guests if they were gay. Then he let’s his sends his daughters, who are probably sacred out of their wits and remained totally screwed by this events are at the hands of a bunch of rapists. The Old Testament has some messed up stuff in it. By this I mean no insult to the Jewish religion, I read in a book that there is always something messed up in every human religion.
Anyway, My point is what if all those fundamentalists in America go in for all this. New Orleans was the "Big Easy," much like Sodom and Gamora were back in the day, and both were smitten down, seemingly by God. I’ve seen stuff that seriously make me doubt America continuing as a democracy, and start a religious theocracy.
It kind of reminds me of the Robert A. Heinlein Future History. See at some point the United States as we know it will fall. The scary thing is, Robert Heinlein’s predictions have turned out to be more or less true.

15 comments:

Steph said...

Well, my take on the Sodom and Gamora story is the same as my take on the entire Bible, particularly the Old Testament...it's a story book, and in no way factual. In fact, just about every Bible story I can think of, I have an extreme distaste for (perhaps because the more I consider it, the more distaste I have for Christianity as it is today) mainly because all of those stories are supposed to have some kind of a moral like trusting in God or whatever, but in nearly all of those stories, the so-called "faithful" servants of God do something abhorrant to prove their faith...like, allowing their daughters to be raped. (But of course in those days, women were just property, which would explain Lot's choice in that situation.)

But nevertheless, the Bible is just a bunch of crap. The morals aren't even worth reading for because they are presented in such a way as to corrupt anyone who follows the story. For example, give your daughters over to be raped, or...Abraham and Isaac: sacrifice your son because God told you to. (Even though Abraham never actually sacrificed Isaac, he would have if God had not stopped him at the last instant.) It's just crap, not even logical crap, but blatently false crap.

Hmm... I didn't intend to ramble on about the Bible and its falsities though. I guess I just got carried away. My initial point was: pretending for a moment that the story of Sodom and Gamora is true, and that New Orleans is some kind of repeat of that story, I think God owes all those people an apology. There are MANY MANY other cities in the world...i.e., Sin City (Las Vegas)...that are equally as "sinful" or worse.

I wish people would use their common sense and realize that there are many valid reasons for natural disasters, none of which are guided by the metaphorical hand of God. That's like saying that getting sick off of eating rotten food is God's punishment for your gluttonous ways. Freakin' crazy!

Dylan said...

I agree with you. I'm just worried that people don't and were all going to end up in an oppressive Theocracy by 2075.

Steph said...

Hmm...I don't know about a "theocracy" necessarily, but I suppose it's as "good" as any form of oppressive government. I see something bad coming, but I can see lots of possibilities, so I'm not going to try and venture a guess yet.

Dylan said...

I just plan to jump ship six minutes before the hammer drops. If America's going down I don't want to be near any boarders.

Steph said...

Good luck with the timing on that one then. If America goes down, I highly doubt it'll be the only one that goes down...

Dylan said...

Okay. If you want you can move with me to New Zealand or something.

Dylan said...

When America goes down hill I mean.

Dylan said...

We can start some expatriot thing like the Bohemians of 20's Paris. Only in New Zealand or Sri Lanka or something.
Were would you like to go when the USA goes down the flusher.

Steph said...

New Zealand sounds like as good a place as any. Always wanted to go there anyways.

Dylan said...

So New Zealand it is, then. See you in the next few decades.

Steph said...

Assuming, of course, that the government doesn't realize that we're trying to escape, so they organize a coalition of rabid, fire-breathing squirrels to come after an annhilate us as we make our grand escape.

Dylan said...

I'm serious about this Steph.

Steph said...

Well, my friend, I'm not going to make any plans for these eventualities, because in all likelihood, what I expect to happen and what actually does happen are going to be two totally different things...always is.

Thus my options will be different than I expect also. That's life.

Dylan said...

Oh. Wel, if things go from bad to worse you can always bunk with me and the other refugees in where-ever.

Steph said...

Heh, ok thanks. :)