Saturday, September 19, 2009

First Weekend


Strangely, this is not were I am located at this moment. I am in fact back in my hometown, sitting in my favorite coffee shop and seeing if any of my hometown friends are going to pass through. There's a guy who kind of looks like Michael Court, only younger, but he doesn't seem to recognize me.
So yeah, I'm home for the weekend. I even got some movies to watch from Generation X in Waterloo. Three of them, two of which I watched last night. Those movies were Aguirre: the Wrath of God and The Films of Kenneth Anger: Vol 1. They were both alright, and I think I liked Aguirre better, probably because it had an actual plot, where as the Anger films were basically surrealist shorts with not dialogue and music in the background. I still have one more movie to watch, but I can't remember the title.
My dad also got the new Wolverine movie, which I wasn't as impressed with. It really seemed like an excuse to get Wolverine to beat stuff up, and something of a contrived one at that. Bits of it were good, but the over all production felt lacking. Also, I didn't appreciate what they did with Deadpool, because even though I don't read many comics, and those I do are generally from DC's Vertigo line, I am familiar with Deadpool. Anyone who plans on having fun with all the little yellow boxes that their thoughts are in is awesome. Still, to work in all the fourth-wall breaking computer-meme spouting looniness that this would involve would take away from the actual movie, which as I said was Wolverine beating shit up. And again, that would just be too loony for normal people. Imagine taking a perfectly traditional action movie and then throwing in a random guy to make genre-savvy postmodern comments about how mindlessly violent everything is before engaging in said mindless violence and you've got what this would look like. This would screw up with the unwashed masses enjoyment of the mindless violence. Nerds and Postmodernists would love it, but the guys who usually go to the action movies would just be confused.
Alright, besides movies I'm also starting Weimar Mage on Monday. I've got four people, a Fascist, a Communist, a Russian Monarchist and a default Zionist, and I'm pretty sure that half of them will be killed once the Nazis get in power in 1933, at worst. I'm going to try and come up with an idea for Game 1. Something to get the characters together for a limited time so they can be a group.
I have to go now because I'm in conversation with a friend.

No comments: