Sunday, March 11, 2007

Loncrow and The Invisibles. Hm, that might make a good band name

I'm a little unsure about making a post right know, but I figure that I should post anyway because I don't want to loose concentration on the blog. I have to many friends on this to loose it now.
Speaking of friends, Loncrow is coming over today for D20 Modern, and possibly PlayStation 2 and a movie or two. I'm a little anxious because he said he'd be hear right now. I'm thinking I should call him. Mom and Dad say I should wait awhile though. Still nervous, Loncrow is my closest real friend and I don't get to see him much. I am really sure that Loncrow and me are part of some kind of ka-tet. A ka-tet, for those of you who are not familiar with The Dark Tower series, is a group of people tied together by the bonds of destiny (or ka, if you prefer). When I told this to Loncrow last time he was here, he didn't take it that seriously, but he did admit we are on the same wavelength more or less.
I picked up Volume One of Grant Morrison's The Invisibles yesterday. It was interesting and has given me a lot to think about. For one thing, I am pretty sure I have come up with the same thing. The basic premise to the Invisibles, is that a secret conspiracy of occultist-fashion conscious anarchists have been fighting a secret war against another secret conspiracy based on order and repression. That's basically my urban fantasy thing, only mine has a pantheon, which I admit is basically a mix of various Hindu, Gnostic and Pre-Islamic Arabian deities along with the various gods of H.P. Lovecraft's and William Blake's mythologies, all worked into some New Age weirdness. I'm thinking I should write a letter to Grant Morrison to see what he thinks of the universe I created that may or may not be the same one he made.
Anyway, more on the Invisibles. Not something to be read lightly, it's a social commentary more then anything. It has all the good weirdness of Doom Patrol and Animal Man, and seems to have this disconserting factor I've been piking up. When I read the Animal Man comics awhile back I felt kind of awkward reading them towards the end. I get that feeling from reading the Invisibles and this is only the first eight issues. It may have something to do with the allusions to the Marquis De Sade. For all it's weirdness, I have to admit that Grant Morrison does have a point when he says that society has brought alot of negativity to human beings. We are living in a really screwed up world, and we can probubly blame this on the people running the world, and us for being stupid enough to follow them. Also, the ultimate goal of the Invisibles is one I can sympathize with, creating a utopia where everyone is happy. Think about it, the utopia of a religious fundamentalist would be different then mine.
Okay, enough blabering, I'm going to finish this post now. There it's done.

No comments: