Tuesday, October 07, 2008

James Joyce vrs D.H. Lawrence

For English I was going to write an essay on Sons and Lovers. I am coming to the conclusion that to write a short essay on D.H. Lawrence is impossible.
I talked it over with my parents last night and all I got was confusion and strife on my part. I was stressed, crying and getting into a phase that would scare most people who didn't know me closely. The Sons and Lovers essay question was basically to look at an aspect of family dynamics in Sons and Lovers. This is a very complicated family, full of dysfunction, economic and social commentary and an insestous subtext. Bring in the sons attempts with there various lovers and we have on hell of some complicated social interactions here, and let me stress the fact that I am autistic and have little idea about basic social interaction.
So today after class I went over it with my teacher and she said I should be taking a look at something a little less complicated, like Joyce's Dubliners. To be honest, Dubliners was my first idea. I was going to look at the treatment of women in Dubliners and how Joyce showed how bad women where treated and how they had to deal with this. I think this could be easier, at least I could come up with an essay that is six pages.
I was wondering if there is a writer out there who just looks at basic human interaction. I think I could really use a writer like that. I don't think a neurotypical majority environment can support a writer like that. Reading D.H. Lawrence seems to make me realize how complicated human interaction and how stupid most of this can actually be. To be honest, the closest a writer or movement is to my outlook would have to be absurdism. I imagine if a neurotypical where to suddenly become autistic he would be overwhelmed by the absurdity. Incidently, I claim that as a story idea, since it's pretty good once you work it out. I imagine that my work will be considered at least partially absurd, and my stories are at the moment pretty out there. I really hope that I can get around to actually writing stuff I care about soon. I hope that once this essay is done it will get better.
Also, it turns out that my English professor is pretty cool with deadlines, so I may not have to get it done by Thursday, which is a comfort. Yeah, the essay's due date is this Thursday. But I'm going to be running this essay by my teacher. I'm going to read a few short stories from Dubliners tonight and trying to figure out what my essay should really be about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In your study of the treatment of women as portrayed in "Dubliners" I suggest you read an alternative version of "The Dead". "The Ugly" by Anne Pigone. It's on the internet. The character's genders are switched. It's illuminating.

Dylan said...

Um, thanks. But I'm only supposed to read from the Dubliners. It's Joyce's treatment of gender.