Sunday, June 15, 2008

Can Someone With Asperges Syndrome Be A Great Novelist?

I've been thinking about this recently. The thing is I don't want to be just a writer, I want to be a writer who is remembered centuries after I've died and is studied in universities. I want to be one of those great writers that people make reference in there books. The problem is I don't know how I can go about doing this as A) someone who is working withing genre fiction and B) an Aspie.
My Autism is one of the things that is making me worried. I don't know how I'm going to write about human interaction if I can't even understand it. Parody and Satire are probably going to be prevalent, and my books are probubly going to have some postmodern deconstruction of how humans interact. Also, Jane Austen has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and from what little I know of her she writes alot about human interaction.
I also heard that James Joyce may have had Aspergers. Unlike Austen, I have read Joyce. It was a short story in an English class called "Araby." It was pretty good, and that Joyce is a writer I mean to check out, at least Ulysses. Finnegan's Wake I'll skip, most likely, because of how unreadable everyone says it is. Other writers who may have had Aspergers Syndrome are Emily Dickinson, Franz Kafka, Mark Twain and H.P. Lovecraft. I don't know about being compared to H.P. Lovecraft, since he was a racist New England bugger with a rather dense style and always ended his stories in italics to emphasise the creepiness of his stories.
The problem with this is that all these people are dead, so we can't make a proper diagnosis. Without actually sitting down with these people (which would have been a problem with Dickinson because she was a recluse) we'll never know if they had Autism or what.
So, the final question is, does my status as a person of Autism impare my skill as a writer or not. I don't know. There is alot of stuff that says it does. I'm on the outside of allmost every social group I'm in, so that makes me a good observer. Also, since I have absolutley no understanding of social norms, I am the perfect person to judge and critic them. Even if none of the people mentioned actually had Aspergers Syndrome, I hope to become the first universally acknowledged great Austistic writer.
I'd appreciate if someone could comment on this and give me suggestions. This is very important to me.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Some other famous writers with Autism are George Bernard Shaw, Henry James Thoreau, Mark Twain, Jim Henson, and Bob Dylan. Some of them are still alive, and I can also tell you that there are at least two people I know of on WF.com with Asperger's.

Maybe you should try to get in touch with a few aspiring writers with Asperger's to see how they're dealing with it. Couldn't hurt.

Dylan said...

Thanks Steph, I'll check into it.