Saturday, February 16, 2008

Movie Review: Natural Born Killers

For awhile I've been wanting to do a review of the movie Natural Born Killers, mainly since I feel I need to get my mind around it. The movie is about Mickey and Mallory Knox, a young married couple who travel across the South-West killing people at random. The movie deals with there life story, there arrest and finally there escape. It's meant to be a commentary on American society, and the media in praticular.
Watching Natural Born Killers was like being on an acid trip. The colours are disconcerting and the film branches of into various different images, including animation, a look at Mallory's early life is in the style of a 1950's comedy, her father being drunk who sexually molests her, and random flashes of demons and Frankenstein. Also, the film is very violent and bloody, which shouldn't be much of a surprise considering the protaganists are serial killers.
The thing that bothers me the most about Natural Born Killers was how it dealt with the issue of Media in the modern world. The film is against the media's portrayal of violence, but it also glorifies it. Mickey and Mallory condem the journalist guy, but there way of killing people is done in a very media freindly way. (Pretty much, they only leave one person alive to tell the authorities what they did).
Well, that's all I can talk about this movie. I'm going to end this now because I am bored and do not care to talk much more about it. To conclude, don't watch Natural Born Killers on a whim, and it confused me alot.

No comments: