Thursday, July 19, 2007

What goes on in my mind and I can place on the internet

You ever feel sorry for Captain Hook? I mean think about it. The guy has a pretty hard break. Look at it from his perspective, here’s this pirate captain always being foiled by some punk kid. That has got to be annoying.

So I was at my relatives, I don’t have any code names for them so at this point they will just be known as my aunt and uncle. They’re really cool people. My aunt’s into eastern religions and stuff like that and my Uncle reads Charles Bukowski and William S. Burroughs and stuff like that. Apparently he did his 10th grade book report on Naked Lunch, which is funny when you have the idea of what it’s about. He lent me a bunch of books. Here’s a list.

  • Factotum, by Charles Bukowksi
  • The G-String Murders, by Gypsy Rose Lee
  • Hell’s Angels, by Hunter S Thompson.
  • Essential Works of Marxism
  • The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe
  • Steppenwolf, by Herman Hesse
  • Demian, by Herman Hesse
  • Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse
  • Thrilling Cities, by Ian Fleming
  • Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison
  • Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail ‘72, by Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Penguin Guide To Jazz on CD, LP and Cassette, New Edition
  • Delta of Venus, by Anais Nin
  • Music from Chameleons, by Truman Capote
  • Evergreen Review Reader 1957-1966
  • Drinking, Smoking and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times, edited by Sara Nickles
  • The Penguin Guide to Zen Poetry
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the heart of the American Dream by Hunter S. Thompson
  • Warriors, Gods & Spirits from Central & South American Mythology
  • The Illustrated Guide to North American Mythology


Those last two were actually my aunts, but the rest shows a pretty well rounded look at what my uncle likes to reads. I’d go into more detail about it, but I know my grandparents read this, and if my grandma knew what goes on in these books she’d have a heart attack. Although, admittedly The G-String Murders does sound like something she should worry about.
Grandma, this is your grandson. Do not worry, I’m seventeen years old. At least I’m telling you I’m reading books about alcoholics, junkies and libertines.

I was thinking about my influences. I don’t know if I have any real influences, or if I should be talking about them in this early stage in my career. But here are the list of people I think I’m influenced by or who I’d like to be influenced by

  • Stephen King, The 1960's thing is sort of based on The Stand, not as in a rip-off I hope but it is kind of similar at the beginning. That and I want to write a fantasy-western ever since I read The Dark Tower series, hopefully I can do it without starting legions of copiers starting off a new Tolkien thing.
  • Michael Moorcock, I think I've been influenced by his work, the Fantasy-Western is going to have a bit of a Michael Moorcock thing, and I do plan on putting all my writings into more or less the same series even if they have nothing to do with each other, much like Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champions story. That and I'm working Jerry Cornelius and Co. in somewhere.
  • Grant Morrison, I'm influenced by his general weirdness and metafictional traits of his fiction.
  • The Beats, I like Alan Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac. I have yet to read anything by William S. Burroughs, but I'm still looking for Naked Lunch.
  • William Blake, I think I'm on the same spiritual plane as William Blake, and we both see our writing as a way to blab about the universe and have developed our own mythology.
  • Quentin Tarantino, I like his dialouge.

And that's all. I'm tired so I will stop typing.

No comments: