Friday, February 09, 2007

A Savage and Possibly Frightening Voyage into my Imagination

I've got homework. I've got to write up a thing on Employment Insurance (Canadian Unemployment Insurance), write up this thing in Writer's Craft, and then I have to do a thing on Mythania. It involves making a map of the Aethean Sea, as well as getting a bunch of things on creating worlds for creating fantasy worlds. Shouldn't be so hard, as I have a few links already. Oh right, they're on the computer that doesn't work anymore. Ah well, it still won't be to hard. That and I have to potentially write up a bunch of stuff for it. I suppose just a brief description of it would be fine. Then there's the time period I have to choose. I figure around 100 CSY, which should be around 250 in the calendar I just made up for this religious brotherhood that took over what was left of the Anoran Empire.
On other notes, I'm putting away at the novel. For the most part all I've written are a bunch of conversations between Naos and Helen. There are a few other things that are going on, but it seems to mostly be Naos and Helen recalling memories of stuff. I suppose that is good, since I believe, or at least hope, they reveal a lot of stuff about the characters. I'm also trying to come up with a bunch of quotes to begin each section. So far I just got a bunch of song lyrics and a bit of William Blake. I'm also thinking about making a soundtrack for the book, so I can get the right idea of the world. I worked on it before I came here, to the public library, that's were I am at the moment by the way. Figured I'd come over here and see if I can't find some Bob Dylan, since he's one of the artists I closely associate with Naos. Then maybe I'll see if they have the soundtrack for Easy Rider. I don't know if they do, but I figure it will help with the first Act. I've separated the novel into five acts, act five acting more as an epilogue. The titles of these acts are as follows.
Act One, On the Road in the Former United States of America
Act Two, Say you want a Revolution
Act Three, Fear and Loathing on the Material Plane
Act Four, The Enlightenment of Naos Ben-David
Act Five, N/A,
I still have to think this one up. I was thinking of "God's Mercy on you swine," but I already have a reference to Hunter S. Thompson. I may just use that as a quote.
I'm also thinking of putting an intermission of some sort in after Act Two or half way through Act Three. Or maybe I could have a bunch of intermissions. Three, let's say. One at the end of act One, another at the end of Act Two, and another in the middle of Act Three. After that the plot begins to get really fast pas and I don't think there should be any intermissions, except for maybe something that says "There will be no more intermissions," only more dark and not as direct. This will be right before Act Four.
On another note, I'm working on what I hope to be the first story of my "Song of the 60's," story ark. The working title is "How Sophia Campion and Daniel Taylor avoided the Loony Bin and Tuned in, Turned off and Dropped Out," or something long like that. It basically deals with how two of the characters got involved in the big thing that happens and begin there voyage to San Fransisco.
I haven't really explained Song of the 60's yet. Well, it's basically a thing I wanted to write in more or less the same vein as Lost. I've been really interested in the 60's and I thought it would be an interesting place to write about. Off course, since it's me, it's going to involve an ancient conspiracy, interdemensional travel, a battle between the forces of good and evil, and my mythology. Off course, considering that this is the 1960's were talking about, it's probably not that strange to have an immortal Sufi-Warrior Mystic, a trio of prophets based on the Marx Brothers (sans Zeppo), and Naos walking around the place.
How is this going to be like Lost? Well, I plan on having back stories for all the characters that run into each other. Since there are going to be a very wide cast of characters, including various historical characters such as inhabitants of this time period (Timothy Leary, Ken Kesey and Hunter S. Thompson will all play roles of some kind as well as anyone else who seems appropriate), and a few who don't but could probably fit easily in. For instance characters like William Blake, Jesus Christ, Alastair Crowley (who's spirit has been trapped in a pickle jar since his death and is used as a scrying device), Emperor Norton the First, H.P. Lovecraft and a whole host of Sufis, Troubadours, Cathars, Knights Templar and other such individuals. And, this is a recent development, they are all connected in some way. For instance, one of the characters descendants met H.P. Lovecraft in an incident with the Necronomicon, another character is reading a book on by Joseph Keating (A British Professor Ala Tolkien), who in tern is trying to figure out this conspiracy that's coming in around him and what to do with these weird crystal stick thing (That incidentally belongs to a changeling sorcerer who is currently on his way to San Fransisco wondering what happened to the past twenty years of his life and why he's in America to begin with). Also, in an earlier flashback, Joseph Keating has memories of sitting in the trenches of World War One with an Arab chap with a sword who saved his life. Well, this Arab chap happened to be Are'do Muhammad Islam, the above mentioned Immortal Sufi-Warrior Mystic, who during a trip to Damascus after WWII would find a naked man who, well that's giving away to much.
I may just try making this into a series. I think the CBC might take it, or if that doesn't work, maybe Showcase or Bravo would be interesting in putting up a potentially controversial and genre bending series. Well, I better be going now. Time is running out on the computer.

2 comments:

ZZZZZZZ said...

To me, genre bending is always good! haha Very impressive that you didn't let the horrid broken computer get you down. I know I always freak when something I need or want is on my broken computer. So far I haven't had any problems with my Gateway I bought last year. (fingers crossed, knock on wood)

Dylan said...

I usually have to do it on another computer. In fact, this comment is from a school computer. Sh, don't tell my EA.