Monday, September 11, 2006

Contemplating 9/11 and coming back to school

Today is 9/11. I just realized that things are never going to be the same for my generation. I suppose that alot of people have clued in on this, but this is a new sensation for me. A bunch of people destroyed something really important (that I never knew existed until they told me it was destroyed), and know we are blowing stuff up in the Middle East. Canada's in on it too know, since we are in Afganistan know.
It's just that things seem really grim because of 9/11. Once you just look at all the death going on in the world because of this, you just have to ask why the hell this is happening. I feel like part of the Scattered Generation. That's my word for my generation, I would have used Lost because I feel a great deal of Loss because of 9/11. Off what, I don't know, the people, our vision of society, the soul of western civilization as we know it. All those things. Anyway, Ernest Heimingway and his buddies already called the Lost Generation, and I real feel that we are scattered. Maybe we could also call ourselves the Broken Generation, because I sure don't feel that we are in complete working order. Maybe everything is Broken. Maybe we should just throw in this whole Civilization shit, since all it does is make everyone yell at each other. Maybe civilization is the work of the Devil. Maybe this is hell, which sure makes me feel comfortable, since I can only go up from here. Well, I sure hope that this is hell, because then Heaven must be really, really great.
Anyway, I've already got my share of work. I'm reading Brave New World, which is pretty scary for two reasons. The First Reason is the cliche, since it seems pretty close to own world, and second, it is kind of similar to the bit of my future history that I am know working on. The Feudal system, the sexual promiscuity, the conditioning, I even have test-tube people, but they are still used as slaves and human's still use sex to reproduce. I almost forgot theirs a third reason.
What if it's already happening?
Scary, isn't it.
Well, good bye. See you soon.

3 comments:

Steph said...

It's a sticky situation any way you look at it. I don't agree at all with what's going on, but at the same time, I'd be really upset if we just sat back and did nothing about it. In my opinion, some people are just beyond the means of regular diplomacy. I don't think that gives the U.S. government any licnese to be over there uprooting the lives of innocent civilians though. That whole "The end justifies the means" theory aggrivates me beyond all reason.

Still, I don't know of any solution to the problem--because there is definitely a problem--so my complaints on the situation are rather meaningless if I can't offer a better alternative.

I read a book earlier in the week about mechanised dragons that lived in space, a sort of AI thing, and there were quite a few allusions to Earth and "the chimps". It took place long after Earth's living population died off, and the allusions were all that "the chimps" (people) killed themselves because they were fighting over whose god was the right god and such. It's not a new idea by any means, but how can you reason with someone whose only "proof" of their claim is that god is on their side?

Hmm... I wonder if there's any sense in all that babble...

Dylan said...

Actually, I read that Muslims believe that their God is basically the same God that the Christians and the Jews believe in, they just got it all screwed up. Personally, I think everyone has it all screwed up. I don't even care about God anymore, I just want people to get along.

Steph said...

Really it's a matter of religious tolerance gone awry. I know so many people that "know" that their relgious beliefs are the "right" ones and they won't hear a word against it, not even for a moment.

It's bad. That kind of closed-mindedness really isn't that far off of the mindset of a crazed zealot.

I'm not into organized religion. At all. But when I'm preached to, or when any of my religious friends wants to talk about their religion with me, that's totally fine. I'm respectful of their beliefs, even if I don't agree. The problem is that some people are just so quick to get defensive when their spirituality is in any way threatened by an opposing belief.

And Megan, in answer to the "thou shalt not kill" thing. In one version of the Koran (in the psycho, fanatic version...there are many) it's said that killing the infidels will get you a great reward in heaven, having like 79 virgins to yourself or something, as if Heaven were a whorehouse.

And the media is...well, biased to say the least. Take everything you see and hear with a grain of salt. There's two sides to everything.