Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Ten Commandments of the Golden Age of Detective Fiction and How I Will Break Them

I plan on writing detective fiction. To do this I have been reading mystery novels and stories, such as Sherlock Holmes and The Lady in the Lake, by Raymond Chandler. Along the way I have discovered the works of Rex Stout, who wrote about a detective team consisting of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. Nero Wolfe sits at home and receives the information while Archie goes out and gets it. I am positive that Wolfe is an Aspie. I'll write about it later.
In my travels I have learned about something called the Golden Age of Detective Fiction, which took place around the 1920's and 30's. The basic story behind most of these is that a group of people are gathered in a secluded place, generally an old British mansion, and someone dies. The detective must figure out who did it. These stories are generally very proper and very British. There are even a set of Ten Commandments written by a guy called Ronald A. Knox.
I plan on breaking every or most of the rules that he has.
  1. The Criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow. Not a rule that should be to hard to break. The Criminal can be mentioned later or could be the main character. I heard that Agatha Christie did the later once, so this might be one of the rules that I don't break.
  2. All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course. So far, my main detective is Jack Blackwright, an Irish sorcerer with connections to various secret societies. This rule has been broken before I even knew it was a rule.
  3. Not more then one secret room or passage is allowable. Screw that, I'll have as many secret passageways as I want.
  4. No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end. Explain it in the middle or don't explain it at all.
  5. No Chinaman must figure in the story. This rule is racist and stupid. Yet oddly funny.
  6. No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right. I'm taking Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks as an inspiration for Jack, so dreams are a valid source of evidence in my world. Throwing rocks at a bottle may also be acceptable.
  7. The detective himself must not commit the crime. Hm, breaking that rule does seem to ruin the story. I think Agatha Christie broke it before I did anyways.
  8. The detective is bound to declare any clues upon which he may happen to light. Jack is somewhat paranoid and will hide information he has if he sees it as a good idea.
  9. The stupid friend of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind; his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below the average reader. Max Scarlett, the Watson in the Jack Blackwright stories is going to be smarter then the average reader.
  10. Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them Yeah, that does seem a bit like a cop out.

Alright, I'm probably not going to break all of these rules, except the one about the supernatural because that's what I write, and the one about Asians because that is just plain racist. Anyways, just thought I'd tell you that.

2 comments:

gs said...

I'm very much looking forward to your post on Nero Wolfe and Asperger's, if you're still planning to do that.

Dylan said...

Thanks.