Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Course Confusion, Residence Searches and (More Importantly) Wold Newton Speculation

I hate my Internet Course. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I just got back some information on a formal outline I did for an essay I didn't need to write, and the teacher said I was doing it wrong in a way that said I wasn't doing anything wrong and it confuses me and all I can think is "Who is she to tell me how to write an outline? She's not even here! If I thought of her as an actual human being as compared to some invisible entity that judges my work from a distance and who I could actually talk to then we wouldn't have a problem, since I could actually discuss this with her. And that's how I ended up at the public library.
So, in other news my Mom and I checked out the University at Waterloo to see if there was another residence besides Conrad Grebel that I could go to. On Thursday we looked at Renison and yesterday we looked at St. Paul's. Renison was great. They said they would try and get me a single room, which I liked. I would make a terrible roommate. Since my main interests are making family trees for fictional characters and odd, obscure books and films, combined with my lack of social skills and possibly annoying nightly habits. (Listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage at 10:00 PM till Midnight on Sundays), I would not make the best of roommates. I should recognize that a roommate is a possibility, and prepare. Also, I liked the feel of Renison better then St. Pauls. The rooms and halls in Renison felt better. Also, Renison has more experience with autistic people such as myself.
I've been looking at various Wold Newton articles and am beginning to realize that there is alot of discrepencies between them. The involvement of Superheroes is something I'm not sure about. Maybe some comic book characters, such as a very limited translation of Shang Chi I can except because of his involvement with Fu Manchu, but Superman and the Fantastic Four seem to be pushing it. And don't get me started on who Captain Nemo is really. I'm going for he's the Immortal Alchemist Joseph Balasmo, as well as Robur the Conqueror, Arthur Gordon Pym, The Count of Monte Cristo and possibly Hagbard Celine and John Sunlight. The traditional concept was that Captain Nemo was an alias of Professor Moriarty.
From what I can see here, I may just be picking and choosing what to put in my own version of the Wold Newton Universe. So because of this, pretty much all superheroes are going to be left out, or altered. I can see Constantine and Octobriana in there. Also, I'm thinking about using the information in the Star Inn Meteorite to help the back story, as well as looking into some other meteroites to back up any families descended in Africa, Asia and the Americas.
Also, I'm starting to wonder if I should adjust some version of the Wold Newton Myth into my own mythology. I've already worked in the works of Michael Moorcock, H.P. Lovecraft and the Marquis de Sade's work into my mythology, why not take it further. I don't know if I'll actually put the Wold Newton family in there directly, but I've got three major families (The Blackwrights, The Saint-Clairs and the Howllers). I doubt that I'll make it part of the whole thing, but I'll probubly make it seem like they are part of the over all mythos. I don't see Doc Savage or Tarzan appearing alongside Orlando Morningstar or Jack Blackwright, but the basic idea is something to play around with.

1 comment:

ZZZZZZZ said...

aww, I'm sorry that you hate your internet class. Thank goodness my semester is almost over. I am looking forward to summer vacation. I'll still be working tons but at least I won't have to worry about papers, tests, and being to school on time.