Monday, October 08, 2007

What am I going to do with the rest of my life?

I've been thinking about my future. I've had a lot to do recently with getting my essay all tidied up and it's caused me to think about my method of doing homework.

My teacher says the problem isn't that I'm not intelligent, but that I'm not disciplined. I'm a little worried about that because I don't think I want to be disciplined. I just want to write the stuff I want to write about.

I'm also thinking that at some point in my life I'm going to become an expatriot, at least by the time I'm forty. Maybe sooner, depending on how soon Canada goes down or when America becomes really facist dictatorship and Canada is invaded. The only problem is I don't know where to become an expatriot in. I was thinking I may go to Paris or Tangiers, but they've already been done. What I want to do is move to a nice leftist republic that dosn't have any major revolutions or wars going on and where I can live in some nice remote area and write epic fantasy and magic realism. I'm starting to think that I may just join Steph in Norway, although I don't think Steph is as interested in starting some weird artist's colony to revolionize people's conciousness or jump start our evolution into glorious star beings, which I may or may not want to do.

Also, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Wasn't Canadian Thanksgiving yesterday? Well, better late then never. Happy Thanksgiving!

Couple things here...

You really don't have to worry about whether or not I want to start a weird artist's colony if the world ends in 2012. But for that, feel free and join me here. Norway is sadly lacking in fun people.

And about the disciplined thing, it's not unheard of for people not to be 'disciplined' as your teacher put it. In fact, that's generally what all teachers say to their students when the students don't really give a crap about the assignments. I was told the same thing, and frankly, it's true. I'm not disciplined. If I don't give a damn about something, I don't exert much effort. Period.

However, with regards to things you DO want to do, you need some form of discipline, I've found. Even--and perhaps most especially--writing. I mean, it's easy to brainstorm and daydream about what you want to write, but then a lot of the times, you sit down to write it, and it's not so easy anymore. Or you've written the part that you were excited about but you give it up when you get past that and you have to write that "boring" transitional stuff. If you don't have at least some measure of discipline, that stuff usually doesn't get written.

Sometimes, you just gotta sit down and write anyways, even if you'd really rather be doing something else at the time. You can do it with the promise that, while you may not like writing the boring, transitional stuff, once you get through that you can write the more fun stuff.

(This isn't *my* advice, either. I've been chatting a bit with some lady that writes novels and that's pretty much what she told me.)

Dylan said...

Thanks for the advice Steph, and I'm starting to doubt that the world will end on 2012, but if it dosn't I;ll see if I can drop over. Thanks for paying attention though.