Saturday, July 23, 2005

My Vacation in America

Well, I am finally back home from the United States of America. It was a good trip and America is a nice place. I wouldn’t want to live there, because Americans don’t have Universal Health Care and Doctor Who.
During my vacation, I worked on making a diary of it. I am going to some it all up in this post.
Major Stops
  • Roswell Known for its famous UFO crash in July 1947, Roswell is a hotbed for Ufologists and conspiracy nuts like me. We ate at a Red Lobster and went to see the International UFO Museum in Roswell. It’s not a really big museum and looks like they converted an old movie theatre out of it, but it was a really cool place and my sister took a few pictures on her digital camera, so you can see what they have.
    My favourite part was the Library. The have a collection of books about all kinds of UFO related subjects. I also noticed a small sculpture that was donated by a Robert A. Taylor. I recognized the name, because he is the guy who does this day in alternate history. I bought a T-shirt at the gift shop.
  • Route 66 The historic highway that connected the East and West coast. We didn’t make any real stops, but we did see a lot of merchandise. We also passed a roadside attraction that boasted the longest map of route 66.
  • The Petrified Forest A long time ago in the Triassic Period, a volcano went off somewhere in what would become the southwestern United States, and all the wood around this volcano got petrified. Okay, I’m not good at describing all this fossilization stuff, but they’ve got a movie to do that. Anyway, you can see all kinds of fossilized trees lying around. There is also an abundance of wildlife in the Petrified Forest, but we didn’t see much of it. My favourite part was the ruins from some people who used to live there. It is believed that they are ancestors of the Hopi and Navaho peoples who moved out because of a drought. It was a good part of the vacation and I got an arrowhead, collection of photos and a book on the history of the Hopi people.
  • The Cabin in Flagstaff, Arizona My favourite part of the trip, because I was able to have my own bed. We stayed for three days and I was hope to come back again because of all the shopping. Flagstaff is apparently a big New Age place. I noticed an advertisement from a woman who claimed to help advance your ESP. I can’t remember her name, but it was made up off symbols that were not from our alphabet.
    We also saw a big used book store were I acquired a Beatles CD (sort of a greatest hits collection) and a D&D guide (Dungeon Masters Guide).
  • Wolf Creek Pass Is were the continental divide that separates California and the rest of North America. I was content to not go out and stay in the car, but NO. My dad decided that we should all get out of the car and go for a walk, which I don’t mind at first. But then we end up walking thru a swamp and my feet are wet and then we have to make a great detour across some grass and it was hot. When we got back to the car thou, Dad saw some dirt road that lead up to some peak and I found it far to quite so I went back into the car and listened to Queen.
    I don’t like nature.
    Also, I know a song about Wolf Creek Pass, to go to the lyrics click Wolf Creek Pass.
  • The Branding Iron Restaurant There is quite a good story behind this one, see my parents and sisters and I were all looking for a good restaurant, so we went into this Branding Iron Restaurant. When we got there, I noticed that they had a sign hanging over the counter saying "We don’t call 911," under it was a pistol. Naturally, I was curious so I asked Mom about the sign. Mom said I shouldn’t worry about it, but my curiosity was overwhelming and when the waitress came I asked her about the sign and the gun.
    She looked at me with a straight face and said "Because if it’s to hot we shoot you,".
    Then mom was all like "Oh, no. He’s going to have an outburst," and I was all like "Oh, no, If I make a wrong move they’ll shoot me. Better not have an outburst." So I told her I’d have mild.
    Eventually, I saw the practical use for the gun. My dessert was pre-heated so I found it oddly hot.
  • Mom’s friend’s House This is why we went. See, every two years. My mom and her friends from College go to one of their houses and stay for a weekend. It was a good time and I saw the premier for the new season of Stargate SG-1. They got Ben Browder, who played John Criton in Farscape to play the new leader of SG-1 and Coronel O’Neil is only a recurring character know. I’m not sure about how this is all going to go down with Ben Browder being the new leader of SG-1, but I hope that it goes well and that this new character isn’t to similar to Chriton from Farscape.
    Mainly I just relaxed. I watched two movies (Napoleon Dynamite and Spirited Away) and I went to see a place called the Garden of the Gods that filled me with all the natural wonder that Dad’s wilderness trip didn’t. We also went swimming and were amazed that deer live in there backyards.That is mainly what happened.

Well, that was what happened. I did try to reread American Gods by Neil Gaiman, but I lost interest. You may know comment on my blog.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. Personally, I would have loved the nature part, but that's just me. As I've posted on my blog before, I believe, I'm sort of an outdoorsy freak. So do you plan on posting any of those pictures?

Dylan said...

yes, it may just take awhile.

Steph said...

Ok, I'll try to be patient. ;)