Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Trip Involving My Spine, Used Books and a Thrift Store

It's been a very busy day, far more busy then I'm used to. The first thing is that I was waken up around 6:30 AM because I had to go to the hospital. As some of you may know, I have a metal rod in my back and my posture isn't that good due to a curvature in my spine and my poor muscle tone. There is all kinds of history that I won't go into, but a lot of people were noting how I tend to lean when I walk. So my parents and I drove down to the big hospital place out of town and saw a doctor. I got an x-ray and the doctor talked with me and my parents and I'll probably go back in a year or two because I do have a curvy spine and if it progresses I'll need to have another operation. It's nothing to worry about however, because it doesn't appear that any curvature is happening.
After that we went to a place called Attic Books, which is a used bookstore that I wanted to look into. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I picked up the following books...
  • Minor Characters, by Joyce Johnson (a memoir of one of Kerouac's ex-girlfriends)
  • The Delicate Prey and Other Stories, by Paul Bowles
  • Billy Budd and Other Stories, by Herman Melville
  • Borges and the Eternal Orangutans, by Luis Fernando Verissimo (a murder mystery involving Jorge Luis Borges, Kabbalah, John Dee and a the hypothetical monkey on a type writer. It's by a Portuguese guy I've never heard of who also is a cartoonist and plays the saxophone)

I also saw a notice on a poetry slam, which is in the city of London were I was. No use hiding it anymore. Here's a link, mostly for me but I figured you guys might want to see it. I've been curious about going to one of these poetry slam things.

After that my parents dragged me to a mall so they could pick up a wind chime and get me clothes. Strangely, going to the wind chime place was good for getting clothes, because it was a typical hippie new age type store and I ended up having a conversation with a rather nice lady who worked at the place, which started because one of the disc things in there Wiccan section was upside down, so it looked like a Satanic pentagram as compared to a Wiccan pentagram. I fixed this and explained it to the lady. The key is that the Wiccan Pentagram is one point up, and the Satanic pentagram is two points up. We talked about stuff which eventually lent to how my parents were going to get some clothes and she suggested this nice thrift store place that I forgot the name off. We went there and picked up some new clothes. I liked it a lot, even if I couldn't get the rather cool trench coat. It was made by a group called London Fog, so I'm looking into that. Plus, my mom says that if I shop at Thrift Stores now then she won't be coming with me because she hates thrift stores. Said that it looks frumpy. We also got birthday presents for various relations, which I won't go into because they are probably reading this.

No comments: