Saturday, February 21, 2009

On My Growing Interest in the Late Middle Ages and Renaissance

Reading Week has come to a close. By tomorrow I will be back in the arms of my Alma Matre. Things are quickly coming to a head, as I have an essay to write and a philosophy test in the near future. I've decided that I am not a philosopher, or at least that the Ancient Greeks are not my area of expertise. I find most of Plato's writing to be dull and that they carry on for more then is necessary. When I read The Republic, I get bored and loose track of the conversation and when I read the summary I disagree with various points. This will probably be the last philosophy course I take.
It's time to take my major soon. I'm not really sure what it is I should choose. I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a mix of English Literature and Religious Studies, but I've been thinking about looking into Medieval Studies. Specifically the bits right before or after the Renaissance. I don't know if I could take that more, but I think I'm more concerned with God then Man. Also, I'm getting a growing interest in the subject of the Middle Ages from all the books I'm reading. Stuff like A Confederacy of Dunces and The Rebel Angels, which deals a lot with Medieval Scholarship. I'd like to look deeply into the literature of this period, maybe even make it part of my thesis. Since I'm also interested in magic, as in the occult-hermetic practises, I'm probubly going to be looking in to see stuff about alchemy and kabbalah. Alchemy and Kabbalah are also appearing to be growing interests of mine, and I hope can learn something of them while I'm at University.

No comments: