Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lady Gaga: Is She a Zeitgeist or Something? What's the Deal?

I want Lady GaGa to find religion. Not because I fear for her soul in anyway, I just want her to join some wacky religion like Thelema or something so that her aesthetic can get a bit more organic.
Since she came out of God knows where Lady GaGa has been a peripheral interest of mine. I don't go after any tabloid stuff to see what she's up to, but if there's an article about what she's doing at the moment readily available to me I'll check it out. I'm haven't really heard much of her music and I'm not really sure if that's the point. Her music videos and whole persona is what I find really interesting. It takes a certain, I'm not going to say balls, it takes a certain guts to do the kind of crazy shit she does and make money of it. I am also going to go out and say that Lady GaGa is a sort of poster girl for a lot of what is wrong with our society. She is the embodiment of a plastic disposable sexuality that I see as largely empty. The difference with most other pop stars is that she seems to be aware of this and is taking pop to it's logical conclusion. She's is also Madonna's true spiritual offspring. Since nobody is really going to be shocked by overt sexual and religious imagery being juxtaposed anymore, Lady GaGa is basically free to do whatever crazy shit she feels like.
But again, I seriously think Lady GaGa should find religion at somepoint. Preferably something with incredibly vague and complex symbols. Let's all cross are fingers. If we wish hard enough, she may become an Alchemist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dylan,

Fabulous post. I have also found myself particularly fascinated by Lady G of late. What you say about her package being more than just the singing is accurate, and I think that’s how she intends it. Also, in terms of her being a ‘poster girl for what is wrong with our society’ is interesting, perhaps this is her way of commenting on what we find socially acceptable as a society? While some argue she goes too far, she is merely a product of what we choose to reward as success. For this reason, I don’t know if I would want her to find religion, as you say. For her to truly embody that ‘plastic disposable sexuality’ persona you speak of, I think it’s important for her to remain secular, in that way she remains a reflection of society as a whole, and can’t be written off as some kind of religious extremist, reflecting and representing the values of only one religion, in the way Scientology has *discredited* (if you will) Tom Cruise.

But then again, if it’s alchemy, then I’m all for it! That’s just plain cool.

I think you might enjoy listening to her sing some of her songs acoustically. Her voice comes as a surprise after the mainstream versions.

Enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPJhDlasgU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOrKLUlh-To (really worth a watch)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga

Great blog, all the best,

B.

Dylan said...

okay, thank you.

Dylan said...

Also, your kind of presuming that I like "plastic sexuality persona." I don't, I just look at it in the same way that I look at a car crash. She's very unorganic, and I don't like that.