Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Various Ponderings of TV in Two Aspects

If I could make a TV series I would. I would love to create an ongoing serial like Lost or Twin Peaks or Carnivale, something with an ensemble caste and something really weird going on. If I could I'd make the Big Novel that TV series, since it already has a large cast. I could probably even get it around three seasons, sat twenty-three episodes each. That would come of to around sixty-nine episodes. I could do everything I want with that story and more. But I don't know if it would be picked up, and if so someone would want me to tune it down or something like that. Maybe I could run it past HBO and keep it cheaper then Carnivale, which seems to have been one of reason it was cut. I'm fine with not even having that many scenes, it will only help the synchronicity.
Anyways, I'm also looking into getting back into the Wold Newton game. I plan on taking a look into the background of Dale Cooper, of Twin Peaks' fame, as well as taking a look into the alleged marriage of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler.
I think that Dale might be a descendant of Holmes and Adler, possibly through Archie Goodwin. I'm having trouble finding many fictional Cooper's, but I did find two. First, Jed Cooper from the western film Hang 'Em High, and Anthony Cooper, who's Locke's father in Lost. Is Dale Cooper the son of Anthony Cooper? I've done some calculations on when Dale was born, which is 1956, the same year as Locke. My guess is that Anthony was married, produced Dale in this marriage and that Locke is an illegitimate child. The fact that Locke is an illegitimate child goes with what is shown in the Lost episode Cabin Fever as well as Locke's back story. I'm probably going to avoid making any more guesses about this, since there is very little information about Dale's past available. I'm guessing that Dale was aware of what his father was doing, was ashamed and that helped lead to his joining the FBI. I will also bring forth that Anthony didn't spend much time raising Dale and their relationship was probably never very close.

5 comments:

Win Scott Eckert said...

Looking forward to what you come up with.

Best,
-Win

Dylan said...

Thanks.

Win Scott Eckert said...

My email address is on my blog website and is linked to from all over my Wold Newton Universe website. No one else is having any problems reaching me, so I don't know what to tell you, sorry. Did you join the Wold Newton discussion forum, as I recommended? There are a lot of great people there who can provide feedback; that's your best option. Even if your private email does get through to me, I don't have any time right now to devote to reviewing articles, sorry, I am fully booked with other writing commitments.

Best,
-Win

Win Scott Eckert said...

Dylan said: "I'm having difficulty emailing you the article I'm working on. I was hoping you could look over it sometime."

I'm sorry, but please see my previous response from yesterday. That really must be my final answer:
- my email address is all over the websites I mentioned
- I am time-crunched right now and cannot review your article at this time
- there are many people willing to discuss your ideas at the Wold Newton Family forum on Yahoo (I reply and participate there as I am able: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wold_Newton_Family/)

Best wishes,
-Win

Dylan said...

Sorry, just got this comment. I'll go with your idea thanks.